• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

M14x2x115 Bolt

Well I am missing a bolt on my gearbox I found out yesterday when I noticed doing the power steering flush on my truck that the damn gear box was coming off the frame slightly. I found that this is the bolt I need but all of the local hardware store and even Fastenal doesn't carry this bolt. Does anyone have one of these laying around or at least know where I can get one besides the dealership?

Gotta love April in Minnesota....... Last April we got 50.4 inches of snow and this season so far (before this snow) we were at 118 inches. The record is 136 inches. I am in the NE corner of Carlton County on this map (just beyond the  arrow): File.png

snowing here too...   same  system  that's  bombing you Tom...    Horrendous  winds,   WC  is  about 0*

My  mom and  dad  'retired'  back in  1996,  and  moved to  Pequot Lakes,  about 30 miles north of Brainerd....   Bought  a  nice house  lake side and   snowmobiled all over the place,  including the   west shore trail up to  Grand Portage  and  back..  

Don't most sane  people  retire  to  warmer climes?   LOL

Don't most sane  people  retire  to  warmer climes?   LOL

Normally......LOL Now you know where you got your "smarts" from! Actually, that area has probably about 3 weeks or so more summer than I do!

I don't know if you tried ace hardware, I see there are a few in your area.  They seem to always have every possible bolt.  Fastenal/Lowes/etc. are more aimed at mainstream bolts.  

Just though I would let you know if you run into the issue in the future. 

I don't know if you tried ace hardware, I see there are a few in your area. They seem to always have every possible bolt. Fastenal/Lowes/etc. are more aimed at mainstream bolts.

Just though I would let you know if you run into the issue in the future.

Everywhere can at least get the 100mm length but not 115mm so nobody in town can get one. It sucks :/

Well I got some bad news..

The bolt worked like a charm except when I started to tighten it, that's when I found out that the gear box is stripped out and the bolt was just turning in the gear box. The other two also have nuts and I suppose whoever installed this gearbox must have seriously used a one size too big of an impact and screwed up all the threaded mounts on the gearbox up. So it looks like I need to chalk up to buying another one.

Now I need 2 more bolts for the new gear box, I think the 2 bolts In there already are a different thread pitch to begin with... FML..

Is  there room  to  just   buy  longer bolts,  and   run   nuts  up against the  box?....  I'm   sure  as  soon as  I   run outside and pop the  hood,   I'd have  my answer.     

If  it  was  mine,   I'd  look really hard  at   if  it  was   starting to leak,  or  getting  close,    but  if  it  was   rebuilt  recently,     try    the longer  bolt/nut trick?    ( 'boxes  aren't that expensive  on the other hand )

Man,   you   might of  dodged a bullet  here..   having a  box   fall off   going down the road  isn't  too  fun of  a   scenario!     Better check your frame  for   deep  galling  or  wallowed out  mount holes too!

Is  there room  to  just   buy  longer bolts,  and   run   nuts  up against the  box?....  I'm   sure  as  soon as  I   run outside and pop the  hood,   I'd have  my answer.     

If  it  was  mine,   I'd  look really hard  at   if  it  was   starting to leak,  or  getting  close,    but  if  it  was   rebuilt  recently,     try    the longer  bolt/nut trick?    ( 'boxes  aren't that expensive  on the other hand )

Man,   you   might of  dodged a bullet  here..   having a  box   fall off   going down the road  isn't  too  fun of  a   scenario!     Better check your frame  for   deep  galling  or  wallowed out  mount holes too!

From what I can tell this is the original steering box. There are a couple of concerns though.

1. The back side of the box has a tapered end to it, so by running nuts down the back side of the box with longer bolts do not solve the main issue. The other 2 mounting bolts already have nuts on them. I can tell they are longer than stock, but the key problem here is that without a flat surface to tighten the nuts to it will eventually back off like the top bolt did from engine vibrations alone and then I have a huge problem. This is how this problem started and the other 2 nuts were loose when I checked them.

2. The gearbox is leaking some already.

3. I have major slop in the steering wheel and I have replaced all 4 ball joints, tie-rod ends and pitman arm. Idler arm was fine.

4. I DODGED a major bullet. If I didn't do the power steering flush on the truck I could have been in a MAJOR accident if the box came off the frame. 

5. I thought about doing a heli coil kit on the box, but with the other problems previously listed, I need to own up to the loss of the current box. 

So yeah I am lucky and unlucky at the same time. :(

Edited by Kotta390

Worse case scenario Napa in Waco has one for $147.60 + $56 core Part Number: NSP 88278154 or they have another one for $$156.60 and a $225 core Part Number: NSP 88278136. I don't know what the difference is, but you may have a relatively cheap fix.

Worse case scenario Napa in Waco has one for $147.60 + $56 core Part Number: NSP 88278154 or they have another one for $$156.60 and a $225 core Part Number: NSP 88278136. I don't know what the difference is, but you may have a relatively cheap fix.

I am going to get one from Carquest where my Father works. His discount will yield it to me for about $135. All I need is two more bolts and I am getting this replaced ASAP.

Currently I am driving his spare car. It's a 2000 Lincoln Towncar with 546k miles on it. Still running and burning a tad bit of oil but has cold AC and great Stereo and comfort :)