• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Easter Horseradish

dorkweed

Just put some eye drops in to be able to see to take this picture and post it for y'all.  Probably a bit more than a quart there.  And yes;  I took one for the team and sampled.........several times .........just to make sure.......................no more sinus's!!!!! :hyper:  :cool: post-7-0-57865300-1397769748_thumb.jpg

It's a tradition taught to me by my Grandpa years ago...............along with mushroom hunting.

Every bit of pleasure in life should be offset by an equal amount of pain.  Making the horseradish is the pain:  consuming it is the pleasure!!!

• Like 1

Is it wild dug root or store bought? Too early here for finding it yet. It grows wild around my area, I have never made it but have helped friends a couple of times, much like deer hunting sausage making parties this is second most common beer drinking gathering here during the fall/winter. How long do you let it activate "Gets hotter as you wait" after grinding it before killing it with vinegar?

W&F, it's just 6 "heads" that I got from Mom and Dads horseradish patch and planted them here 11 years ago when I moved in. The plants at Mom and Dads were heads from my Grandpa's (Moms Dad) patch prior to that.  I have to work at controlling it, as it's so invasive.

When making it, there's no "benefit" in waiting thinking it'll increase the "heat".  I've read that the heat is a yearly thing..................probably depending on temperature, moisture, when harvested, etc.

It surprises me that a NoDakian such as yourself knows of horseradish.  Usually it's just salt, pepper or ketchup for spices up there by you!!  Maybe occasionally yellow mustard!! :lmao2:  :lmao:

I had a neighbor many, many years ago that put up his own horseradish. Processing it liked to burn the skin off your eyes, but once it was done you could eat it with a spoon. I never did figure out how he did that, but I was quite young then.

I  saw  a  'how they make it'  show  on horseradish..  and   they leave the  root  in the field all winter...   late winter early spring  is  when  they dug and processed it.  

My gosh,   talk about a   high powered  acid!      The  'heat'  is  supposed to travel through our  upper palate  at  something like   800 mph..  and  well,   we all know  what happens next!   I kinda like it!   I'd like to  try growing/processing some  myself,   is there   hybrids  out there,  or  is  it all the same?

W&F, it's just 6 "heads" that I got from Mom and Dads horseradish patch and planted them here 11 years ago when I moved in. The plants at Mom and Dads were heads from my Grandpa's (Moms Dad) patch prior to that.  I have to work at controlling it, as it's so invasive.

When making it, there's no "benefit" in waiting thinking it'll increase the "heat".  I've read that the heat is a yearly thing..................probably depending on temperature, moisture, when harvested, etc.

May be a wild versus semi domestic plants as well, I have seen the same plant made into several batches and seen the difference first hand of leaving it longer before killing it off, it did make a huge difference.

It surprises me that a NoDakian such as yourself knows of horseradish.  Usually it's just salt, pepper or ketchup for spices up there by you!!  Maybe occasionally yellow mustard!! :lmao2:  :lmao:

You are hanging out in the wrong areas or with the wrong crowd if you find things lacking variety, My wife and I cook for flavor and use many spices and seasonings. I for one have never liked ketchup, find it disgusting, it has High fructose corn syrup in it which I avoid like the plaque, We eat as organic and natural as possible. We have many different types of salt and pepper in our cabinet as well.

Could I talk you out of a starter plant Dorkweed??? I am the kind of girl that likes a little bit of roast beef with my horseradish :thumb1:  :drool:

Hmmnnn....................What could we trade??? :think:

You are hanging out in the wrong areas or with the wrong crowd if you find things lacking variety, My wife and I cook for flavor and use many spices and seasonings. I for one have never liked ketchup, find it disgusting, it has High fructose corn syrup in it which I avoid like the plaque, We eat as organic and natural as possible. We have many different types of salt and pepper in our cabinet as well.

Just teasing you a bit.........................but the food around where we stay in NoDak..............................usually in and about the Jamestown and Medina and Woodworth and Gackle areas is pretty bland....................except for the LUTEFISK!!!!!!!!! :sick:  :wow:   However; there is a place in Medina that opened a few years ago that has AWESOME BBQ.  Here's the link..........http://www.firehouse-ribs.com   I highly recommend it if'n you get near there!!!  Call and check prior..................I heard last year when I was up there that she keeps strange hours.

So does that mean I can acquire a small cutting?? :ashamed:

YabbaDoo;  in all honesty, just go to a local garden store (or call around) and pick up either the seeds or some tops.  Then just stick them in the ground.................somewhere that you won't care if it takes the spot over;  because it will.  It's very invasive and hardy,  almost impossible to kill.  Loose soil, sunny spot...........harvest in the Spring when the tops start greening up coming out of the ground or in the Fall after a good hard frost kills the tops down............

You may wish to check with a garden store about growing it down South for any particulars