• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Scanner for OTR trucks

I dont think there is such a thing. Trucks have a totally different system that i think is very protected. Meaning you have to buy a fancy scanner and the adaptors. When i worked at a diesel shop we had a OTC scanner and like 6 adaptors. A guy i work with says freightliner is making even harder for generic scanners to read codes on their trucks

Edited by mopartechnician

Man, that sucks. I was working on the heating system at an International dealer close to me and they had a county plow truck in to get fixed. All that was wrong was the left front turn signal did not flash. The tech working on it said the computer was the problem and it would be a $700 fix!! Sometimes I really wonder about the computers running everything.......

The shop that I deal with for the big Semi trucks is just a little shop and he has a special laptop that I use and help him out with but it was a $5k adventure for the laptop and then cost him another $1000 a year just to keep it up to date.

I haven't seen any scanner options for semi truck that are affordable enough for an individual to really justify owning. Where I work we have mostly Cummins ISX engine in our trucks so we have insite on a laptop but that has a yearly subscription that costs around $500 a year plus its another $600 or so for the inline 6 interface box/cables. one nice thing though with insite is it comes with a foult code reader standalone program that will pull codes off any engine/data system on the truck using the J1939 or J1708 interfaces.