• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Excellent, have you ever blow out a seal by overfilling? Probably not the same consequences as overfilling an engine huh.

So regular pipe thread for the street "L"? Teflon tape w the threads maybe too?

Thank you,

Dave

no problem on the seal part, even with the raised oil level, it still just below halfway filled.

There should be a breather on top somewhere to keep it from building pressure when hot. Any gearbox that starts to 'suddenly leak' is usually a plugged breather suspect

Now, I can't tell you if the plug thread is metric or standard Pipe Thread...

Chances are, it'll be inch. A lot of machinery these days, even though they are metric fastener

supplied, will be 'plumbed' with inch pipe fittings.

Take out the original plug and see if it will thread up into a female fitting.. I bet it is even

bigger than 1/2, possibly 3/4?

Teflon tape or even paste will be good. I hate tape! Don't tighten the new plug that will go into

top of the L too hard, you might bust off the L flush with the transmission. Good and snug will be

good.

Thanks Rancherman, all good advice, I will heed your words, very pertinent useful information.

I'll probably just take the plug to my favorite local mom& pop hardware store & find what fits. After pondering all your suggestions, you gave me a plan. I'm out of town teaching the rest of this week, can't wait to get back tinkering w my truck!

Thanks again,

Dave

• Like 1