• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The reason it is considered the Holy Grail is because you have the 12V engine with the updated cab. Even today the '98 112V trucks are getting a premium price.

• Like 1

When I was looking for a Dodge Cummins, Consumer Reports, listed these as much better than the 24V. Are the Automatics in the 12V just as problematic as the 24V?

Yes. The 47RE is a not so great transmission IN STOCK FORM. You can make them very reliable and hold your power though!

From what I understand (I am not a tranny mechanic) the best thing to do is put a good converter in an up the line pressure. You can upgrade the clutches and bands too.

One day I may do an auto to manual swap :wink:

By the time you are done you would probably be better off getting a manual truck and making it into what you want. If you really want to do the swap you should have the donor truck next to the recipient so all the parts and things are available.

• Like 2

I don't like the new design as much but I think the cup holders actually work and the back door thing basically sells itself.  I would say thats probably the biggest part of it.  I mean a new dash design isn't really anything to brag about but those back doors do the trick.  

so,   do I  have  something  REALLY  rare?    "new style dash,  but  old  non-opening  door"  cab?    Or  did they  still offer  'extended cab'   both ways     

My  build date  is  9-97,      has     the   digital  odometer,     but    only  2 door  extended cab..

ok,  gotcha!   club cab is  2 door, extended....    quad cab is    the   semi-half door  extended!   

What do they call the  true 4 door model,  and  when did it  debut?  (is there one???)  :ashamed:    I don't  pay too close attention!  ha ha

By the time you are done you would probably be better off getting a manual truck and making it into what you want. If you really want to do the swap you should have the donor truck next to the recipient so all the parts and things are available.

If a  'donor'  truck  just falls into your lap,   ( such as  my  situation)     and  your   recip  truck is  really good shape,  then  yes!  go for it...  but when you  start  'piecing' together  all the   parts  for the   swap...  it  can get   pricey  both in  parts and  time to  chase them down..   It may be cheaper to  just   start over with  one already  set up...

On the other hand,   I've never heard of anyone  who has done it...  have any  regrets.. 

• Like 1

So a 12V 98 is sorta rare, esp w a 5speed? I don't really care for an extended or quad cab. Think the shorter trucks look hot rod!

From what I've read,  they only built them for a few months,  before  switching them to  the  24v.  

The few I've seen have been the large cab.      Mine will end up  a  regular cab,  1994 titled   6 speed 

I believe most years  had more autos than  manuals

I like  the regular cab....  it  FORCES  me to  shovel/clean it out more often,   so I can at least close the doors!    I can't imagine the crap that would  accumulate  with an additional  2-3 foot behind the  seat!  :lmao:

• Like 1

I like  the regular cab....  it  FORCES  me to  shovel/clean it out more often,   so I can at least close the doors!    I can't imagine the crap that would  accumulate  with an additional  2-3 foot behind the  seat!  :lmao:

I know that one Rancher...  My 1500 is a regular cab and Yabba is the club cab and it can be tempting to put more crap behind the seat...  I have been pretty good about not piling too much crap back there though :thumb1:  I just have my tools,2 stroke oil,jumper cables, tow rope and a dog bed for my dogs :)  Granted there is only enough room for 1 of my oversized beastie's at a time :tongue:

From what I've read,  they only built them for a few months,  before  switching them to  the  24v.  

The few I've seen have been the large cab.      Mine will end up  a  regular cab,  1994 titled   6 speed 

I believe most years  had more autos than  manuals

How difficult would the 6 speed swap be for my 98.5 24V? Too bad I put about 2 grand into this crapomatic!