• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Replacing pinion seal on a Dana 80.

Can someone tell me what size socket the pinion nut is on a 98.5 Dana 80 is? I have tried a 1 13/16 and it is a hair small and a 1 7/8 will not fit inside the yoke without grinding the outside of the socket. I am thinking it is metric? Maybe 47mm? Odd size not in most sets.

Rick

yep,   1 7/8ths

I  just went and  bought  a  cheapo   socket,   3/4 drive,    to grind  down.  (didn't want to   grind  down  a  S-K   socket!)  If possible,  try to find a  6 point  thinwall socket.   Not  sure  if  there is  such an animal though...

methinks  the  torque  is  going to be  460  ft/lbs      I really  recommend  you  holding the   yoke while   breaking loose/tightening.     I  used a  36 inch  pipe wrench  against the  frame.     That way   you aren't going to  be fighting  axle  wrap-up.

Edited by rancherman

That is a good write up but I am not a fan of impacts on differentials. You are hammering the pinion against the ring and both are hardend gears. I have seen many broken gear sets because of that. I will expend the extra energy to save a grand on a new gear set and the neccesary set up.

Edited by rickf

That is a good write up but I am not a fan of impacts on differentials. You are hammering the pinion against the ring and both are hardend gears. I have seen many broken gear sets because of that. I will expend the extra energy to save a grand on a new gear set and the neccesary set up.

good idea ^^^^  and that's  why  I  use the  pipe wrench.      No  torque  gets  past the yoke..  and   into the  ring and pinion. 

I  usually use the  multiplier on   disassembly,  but  still  use     'straight through'  type  wrenches  for   final  torque...

I have  a   1 inch drive   torque wrench,  and  it's handle is plenty long  for  pulling   460..   It  take  2  guys  to  handle  it!

A one ince drive torque wrench! I didn't even have one of them whne I was doing construction equipment work. I always used multipliers or 3/4 drive and doublers. I did have one drive sockets and ratchet though, of coarse back then I could lift it. :rolleyes:

At one time I had a side business rebuilding Dana differentials. For a seal driver I used exhaust tubing with a soft plug welded on one end and a large washer welded near the other end to get a nice straight drive on the new seal. For a pinion holder I used a 5/16 x 3 inch flat bar 3 ft long. Burned a hole in one end for the largest socket needed and drilled a variety of holes that align with various yokes. This can be bolted directly to the yoke. This gives very good control when removing and torqueing the pinion nut. 

• Like 2