• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering upgrade, possibilities for 2WD

Hey y'all,

I have been doing research into what to do about the steering issue on my truck.

I have found the Y to T 98-99 Mod and another steering kit 7/8"  with high misalignment spacers.

My question is will either of/ or both of be an option for a 2wd?

I see all pics of 4wd trucks using both setups.

After all the reading I have done I lean towards the Ballistic Fabrication kit  http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Steering-Kit-78-with-High-Misalignment-Spacers_p_1337.html

I have been reading stories about MOOG not being so good these days so I am looking for the kit that will last and fit.

I have also read about going to the 09-10 T set up instead of the 98-99 setup.

I would appreciate all the info you can give!

The 99 setup is best listed here http://www.mark74.com/ram_modifications.htm#crossover

Trying to compare 4wd and 2wd attributes through auto websites is an incredibly challenging thing to do.

Can anyone tell me what the real difference is in the two?

Is the taper bolt in the joint different? are the lengths different or a different shape? 

Is there any reason that the 4WD version will not work?

will the different bolt size option on the 7/8-5/8 actually work? 

There seems to be many parts you can get for 4WD and not 2WD.

So what I have in my mind is that the only reason that the 4WD steering setup will not work on the 2WD trucks is the height at which the truck sits. The room necessary for the solid bar to go from the steering gear to the left wheel may not be available unless you go from the bottom of the pitman arm. Other than that the room allowed by the wheel may not allow the room needed for the parts either...

Still looking at my options, this linkage is for 04-12 and seems to be an option due to the t style attachment and placement of the attachment.

http://www.factorymoparparts.com/52122362af.html?gclid=CjkKEQjw5-OdBRDW3ceD9fL0r4QBEiQAW7htXR7u-nKVFUe4bYpP8tRoEMHY6nuxCADt9Xvvd2VsFqLw_wcB

Ebay link for better image

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-52122362AF-Front-Steering-Linkage-Tie-Rod-Assembly-For-Dodge-Ram-2500-3500-/130895194763

Is there any reason this shouldn't work on a 2WD truck?

The 4wd trucks use a completely different steering setup than the 2wd truck use. I tried to find some photos to show the setups side by side but I can't seem to find a good one of the 2wd setup but anyways, here is what I did find.

First is the 4wd setup:

post-45-138698166322.jpg

Now on to the 2wd setup, look behind/below the sway bar and you'll see the bar for the steering. 2wd trucks also have a idler arm where the 4wd trucks don't.

post-45-138698166194.jpg

post-45-138698166177.jpg

The biggest problem with trying to run a 4wd steering setup on a 2wd truck I see would come from the solid axle vs. independent suspension.

The solid tie rod bar from a 4wd truck if put on a 2wd truck (if it would even fit) would pull and push the toe constantly while driving down the road making for dangerous driving conditions, not to mention bad tire wear.

Edited by bjytech

I guess they just have to articulate to allow for movement of the a-frame without applying extra force to the linkage. or pulling the tires in and out based on spring compression and articulation.

Why does nobody make stuff for 2WD???

I need to follow this one, my steering when changing lanes floats a little to much, unnerving mostly, esp if towing something! I'm 2WD as well.

Dave

That is more of an alignment issue than anything else. I drove a 3500 Chevy work truck and they have just about exactly the same front end and it drove great. I have had mine to four different alignment shops in one year and none of them got it right. I did some adjustments to it in my garage and got it better.

I need to follow this one, my steering when changing lanes floats a little to much, unnerving mostly, esp if towing something! I'm 2WD as well.

Dave

I believe that the alignment is an issue, however, I also believe that the steering gear and stabilizer as well as ball joints combined with tie rods are major factors.

I recently took my truck in knowing that the steering gear was not so good and he informed me that the ball joints and the tie rods were needing replaced, mostly the ball joints.

I have not found any special ball joints for the 2wd that will help the issues either.

I called Ballistic Fabrication and they were not really interested in helping me out too much...

I am going to do more research on companies that deal with tie rods and see if I can find one to make me a set.

I really want Ballistic, or a similar company to fab up some, Heim style, tie rod replacements.

The issue is that there has to be a custom adjuster with locking nuts.

I see that unless it is bent the center bar can stay, If I can connect to the wheels with after market stuff I will be happy!

I am wondering if there are more guys that want to have some made and we can get a better deal...

• 6 months later...