• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

différence between 98.5 and 01

I a got a weard probleme and i discoverd that my truck on paper is a 2001 and on the door the fabrication was 03/13/00 is that normale?

so when the truck was fully original those it have the 2001 block that only run a cam sensor?

My trouble i got a p0341 and i cheque all what you say to cheque on the your obd11 test twice and i see nothing. So before changing the ecm or the vp44 because every body says its should be that But it a very expensive test!!!

I got a few question before i discovert that the block have been swap the cummins block is a 98.5 with a ecm 00 And the wiring that plugue the block is like 01-02 because i have no unplogue wire and the crank sensor on the block just beind the starter is unplogue.

So can this be my trouble off being in (limp mode) i got a Block that supose to be working with a cam and crank in 98.5 and the truck wiring supose to be running with only a cam. Can my trouble be that the cam gear between the two years is reding a différentes thing?

Those anyone have the picture off the two cam gear and can i just change that and the truck will stop being in limp mode

If the title states according to VIN it is an 01 than the truck should be an 01.  Providing the VIN has not been tampered with I would go by that.  If you want to know for sure what year the engine is look at the data plate on the front gear case cover on the engine.  I think it should state the year on the plate, but if it doesn't grab the ESN off of the plate and I can figure out what year it is with that number.

If it is a 98.5 engine it needs the crank sensor to run and I don't think there is any way around that because the early VP44 trucks had the tone wheel on the crank and the later VP44 engines only had the tone wheel on the cam.

Did this truck run before or did you buy it with this problem?

I think the ECM would be OK but will have to dig into that more to be sure.  But need to know for sure what year engine you have. Take a peak at the data plate on the gear case cover like I mentioned above so we can figure out what you've got.

Edited by diesel4life

If it is a 98.5-00 engine in an 01-02 truck, you need the ECM, PCM, engine wiring harness & power center (Underhood fuse box).

Ed

Well, not according to these guys.

I've never had to deal with an ECM so I don't know, but I was planning on calling a friend who has a lot more knowledge in this area unless someone here can clarify

it

http://www.innovei-ecmrepair.com/product/2002-dodge-ram-ecm/

So i cheque the web you place amd its sais that its all compatible 98.5 to 02

I don't know for sure, there seems to be some different info out there. I can check with a mechanic who is well versed on this, I do know the 98.5-00 gets charging and tach info from the crank sensor and the 01-02 uses the cam sensor for the same info, but the 98.5-00 engine also has a cam sensor that is used for diagnostoc purposes, so Im not sure if the newer ecm could obtain the info from there or not. Unless someone here can definitively explain the difference, I will make a phone call tomorrow and find out the scoop.

Edited by diesel4life

There's been at least 30 people in the last 2 years I know of that to get the truck to run properly, at minimum need ECM, PCM, engine harness & power center from the engine range. As I said earlier, some have needed the gauge cluster and or the CTM. CTM is usually due to the donor or recipient truck having a factory security system.

Ed