• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

DTC codes - P0251 oil pressure rationality

Can someone explain to me what P0521- Engine oil pressure sensor performance, means in english? As I was leaving work today My check gauges light came on and I had no oil pressure according to the gauge. I pulled over as fast as I could and shut the truck off, after restarting it I had normal oil pressure again, and it was fine the entire way home.

• Owner

Monitor & Set Conditions

Oil pressure rationality is monitored with ignition on and engine off. DTC may set if oil pressure is seen with no RPM signal for 30 seconds.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/192-p0521-oil-pressure-rationality

In other words its impossible to have oil pressure if the engine isn't twisting.

Time for a oil pressure sender.

• Like 1

Matt, that is a common problem. They are more of an on/off switch than a pressure sender. The sender takes a 1 1/16" extra deep six point socket to change it. Real simple to change too. I have a socket that I made to change them, but I may be gone for the weekeknd. I don't know for certain yet.

I use a set of 6 double sided "Water heater element" style sockets for all sensors. They are cheap & will fit most sensors. You can get them at HD/ Lowes, hardware store or Harbor freight/Northern Hydraulic.

Ed

I never thought of that! That would be the best way to go, but I happen to have a couple of old sockets that I could cut and weld together for a socket.