• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

He351ve stand alone Arduino controller code for 2nd Gen Cummins

Getting married in a couple days so this is on the back back back burner.  I will be towing with the setup this weekend so I can report how it acts.

I will say that thanks to lillb.com and hakcenter overthere, I have added a turbo accel variable that tells the arduino if the turbo is speeding up or slowing down.  I use this in the top end controls of the turbo.  This resolves the issue of the vanes opening causing a huge drop in shaft rpms, then repeating.  I am watching shaft speed and accel, if speed is increasing beyond 130,000 rpm I will open the vanes slightly, but if the shaft speed is above 130,000 but decreasing I hold the current position or reduce the housing size

if (curveb){  //End pos of 16cm start 11cm
                 if (turbo_rpm <= 120000) { vane_position = 645 - TPS_range;} //************************
            else if (turbo_rpm <= 128000) { vane_position = 624 - TPS_range;} //************************
            else if (turbo_rpm <= 140000) {
                     if (turbo_accel[2] > 20){vane_position = last_vane_position - 5;} // if shaft accel is Positive then open by 5
                else if (turbo_accel[2] > 40){vane_position = last_vane_position - 10;} //if shaft accel is postive and large, open by 10
                else if (turbo_accel[2] < -20){vane_position = last_vane_position + 5;} // if shaft accel is decreasing minus size by 5
                else if (turbo_accel[2] < -40){vane_position = last_vane_position + 10;} //if shaft accel is decreasing largely minus by 10
                else {vane_position = last_vane_position;}
          }
        }
//Overrun
      if (turbo_rpm > 140000){  // 145,000 rpms is where I get worried about shaft speed.  
        if (turbo_accel[2] > 0) {vane_position -= 5;}         //this will creep the vane position more open each code cycle if turbo rpms are above 150,000 if not in curvea ( perf mode defined by "F_watchpot" tab) 
      } 

Getting married in a couple days so this is on the back back back burner. I will be towing with the setup this weekend so I can report how it acts.

I will say that thanks to lillb.com and hakcenter overthere, I have added a turbo accel variable that tells the arduino if the turbo is speeding up or slowing down. I use this in the top end controls of the turbo. This resolves the issue of the vanes opening causing a huge drop in shaft rpms, then repeating. I am watching shaft speed and accel, if speed is increasing beyond 130,000 rpm I will open the vanes slightly, but if the shaft speed is above 130,000 but decreasing I hold the current position.

if (curveb){  //End pos of 16cm start 11cm
                 if (turbo_rpm <= 120000) { vane_position = 645 - TPS_range;} //************************
            else if (turbo_rpm <= 128000) { vane_position = 624 - TPS_range;} //************************
            else if (turbo_rpm <= 140000) {
                     if (turbo_accel[2] > 20){vane_position = last_vane_position - 5;} // if shaft accel is Positive then open by 5
                else if (turbo_accel[2] > 40){vane_position = last_vane_position - 10;} //if shaft accel is postive and large, open by 10
                else if (turbo_accel[2] < -20){vane_position = last_vane_position + 5;} // if shaft accel is decreasing minus size by 5
                else if (turbo_accel[2] < -40){vane_position = last_vane_position + 10;} //if shaft accel is decreasing largely minus by 10
          }
        }
//Overrun
      if (turbo_rpm > 140000){  // 145,000 rpms is where I get worried about shaft speed.  
        if (turbo_accel[2] > 0) {vane_position -= 5;}         //this will creep the vane position more open each code cycle if turbo rpms are above 150,000 if not in curvea ( perf mode defined by "F_watchpot" tab) 
      } 

Very nice. Congratulations and let us know how everything goes.

Well hooked up to a trailer for the first time since the turbo.

I gotta say it is awesome. I am making 5-10 psi of boost before 1500 rpm in 2nd.

It's great

Very nice. So is that with the 14cm vane position and the new settings you added for the load sensing?

That curve is from 6cm to about 13-14.

No load, but it takes into account turbo acceleration to buffer the top end.

But it is a monster now without going to crazy on shaft speeds.

That's right shaft acceleration. That's good to hear I bet now you will see near the full potential of the turbo.

It really screams when you have a trailer on.  Just a little bit of extra load really helps lite the turbo.  I was climbing a small hill in 2nd maybe 15-20 mph, look at my boost gauge and I was still at almost 10 psi, looked at my rpms and I was at like 1400 haha.

little more tweaking and I will be really happy with the setup.

It really screams when you have a trailer on. Just a little bit of extra load really helps lite the turbo. I was climbing a small hill in 2nd maybe 15-20 mph, look at my boost gauge and I was still at almost 10 psi, looked at my rpms and I was at like 1400 haha.

little more tweaking and I will be really happy with the setup.

Load helps a diesel quite a bit. The harder they work the more power they produce. Once you exceed 80% to 85% load then you begin over working the engine and really produce alot of heat. Edited by Vais01

coolant got somewhere around 230*f

Pass I was driving is is about a 3,000' elevation increase pretty good grade.  45mph speed limit with a kansas person doing 25mph ugh.  as soon as I was able to get going 35-40 mph temps dropped to 220f*  

coolant got somewhere around 230*f

Pass I was driving is is about a 3,000' elevation increase pretty good grade. 45mph speed limit with a kansas person doing 25mph ugh. as soon as I was able to get going 35-40 mph temps dropped to 220f*

Just a tiny bit warmer than normal. Then again a Kansas driver was the reason I wrecked my first car.

I think that state has some of the very worst drivers I have seen. It's as if they don't pay attention.

Rant done.

I'm glad the turbo is working better. So far I think your on the right track now if only you could seamlessly have the controller and tunner together.

• 2 weeks later...

No more at x turbo rpm be at x position.

More so if turbo is gaining speed do this or slowing down do this.

Not sure how I want to do that yet, but I have been thinking about it.

I would use turbine shaft speed RPM to dictate vane position at high engine RPM/load and boost levels.

Having it fluctuate to create optimal boost at higher RPM/load. The controller needs to see boost values to choreograph the vane fluctuation I would think.