• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

He351ve stand alone Arduino controller code for 2nd Gen Cummins

Yea The arduino coding window is open pretty much all the time.  

It is hard to make it better than it is now on the top end, but I know it could be improved on.  Right now it works great for my truck, right now...but

- I really hate that the code isn't smart enough to adjust the curve based upon multiple fueling levels, without user input to change the curve manually.    I dunno the best way to accomplish this.  More thinking, and so forth. 

- I also wish it automatically sense when the truck is at cruise and jump to cruise curve on it's own.   However it is hard to figure out the best way to do this.  I was thinking maybe a timed event that after x seconds at TPS between %20-28 it would sense cruise......again more thought needs to go into that.

Yea The arduino coding window is open pretty much all the time.

It is hard to make it better than it is now on the top end, but I know it could be improved on. Right now it works great for my truck, right now...but

- I really hate that the code isn't smart enough to adjust the curve based upon multiple fueling levels, without user input to change the curve manually. I dunno the best way to accomplish this. More thinking, and so forth.

- I also wish it automatically sense when the truck is at cruise and jump to cruise curve on it's own. However it is hard to figure out the best way to do this. I was thinking maybe a timed event that after x seconds at TPS between %20-28 it would sense cruise......again more thought needs to go into that.

More fuel will develop more heat and higher amounts of gas volume. Higher volume will produce a little more boost but you will run into the wall after or in this case the upper edge of the compressor map. 40 PSI is max for the volume of air needed. More will be hot air. Edited by Vais01

yep,

I wish my code would see that ( weither that is turbo accleration, Drive pressure, etc etc etc) and adapt on the fly.   

example,

With canbus fueling only my curve "dd" works great unloaded, however if I load up a trailer and head up the pass that curve no longer works with the same fueling.  

Anyways just thinking out-loud and will change / add stuff to the code as I figure out a good way to do so.

yep,

I wish my code would see that ( weither that is turbo accleration, Drive pressure, etc etc etc) and adapt on the fly.   

example,

With canbus fueling only my curve "dd" works great unloaded, however if I load up a trailer and head up the pass that curve no longer works with the same fueling.  

Anyways just thinking out-loud and will change / add stuff to the code as I figure out a good way to do so.

This is because as the engine works harder more heat is generated and that makes more drive pressure. You could tap the manifold for a drive pressure gauge to monitor what it does then use the data to develop the code. I see the dynamic part you speak of for sure. The 1800 - 2600 RPM area would need to be more dynamic to compensate for highway hauling.

Already have drive pressure into the arduino.

I'll get there just need a good few hours of coding to get the idea.

I would keep an eye on engine load when you do it may be the most helpful. Both drive pressure and load will go hand in hand.

Edited by Vais01

Hello, 

I have been following this build and the amount of knowledge is amazing! I am trying to get a 351 turbo onto my 4bt dakota and if all goes well onto my 05 ram. i am very limited in knowledge of programming but am a mechanic by trade. I have all the parts listed in Holset HE351 VE VGT standalone Turbo Arduino Controller Tuner article. I have all the libraries and downloaded and uploded HE351mainfreq 1.04. i can not get the lcd to show any thing other than 2 rows of white squares and 2 rows of blue back ground, not sure if i am uploading wrong? I have tried controlling the turbo using the push pull pot and was unable to get the turbo to move. I uploading the simple blink test from examples onto the board and that was working. I am at a loss. 

Thank you 

I am bench testing it first on the floor then the garage to chilly so it went inside to try and figure out what i did wrong. I have the exhaust housing off for verification and mock up on the truck. It is a dfrobot lc2/ twi 4x20 lcd or so the paperwork says. I have tried hooking the scl to pin analog5 and to the scl pin, also the sda to pin analog4 and sda pin on the board, vcc to 5 volt and gnd to ground. I have tried changing the contrast it changes the intensity of the white squares. 

Thank You 

Here is the next problem, again i am unsure if the actuator works as this is a used turbo I will hook it up to cummins and set it up for install tomorrow pm. Anywho, I added pot's to mimick boost and drive but am unable to get the turbo to respond. Along with the turbo does not cycle at start up. Is ther a way to monitor and see if the shield is ouputing data?

The vanes do not jump but you can hear the actuator power up. I pulled the actuator off and the gear does move. I will try and post a video or link it to photo bucket. It seems to be the correct start up and cycling vanes. I have double checked the wiring to the actuator for power and can + and -. They are correct.