• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Giving Big Blue the Edge

I see alot of you guys are using the Edge. So, you just plug it in with a splitter to the MAP, and mount it, then you are good to go? How would I spec one out for my engine, being it is not in a Dodge? It was mfg. in May 2000, and the truck is a 2001 MY, truck was built around the same time as well.:cummins:

• Owner

I would contact Edge Performance and see what they say... I'm sure they could help you out for sure... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/manufacture/manufacture.htm Liker my Edge Comp is extremely easy to hook up... 1 lead to the CANBUS near the ECM. 2 leads to the MAP sensor (boost fooler) 1 lead to tap the VP44 2 leads for power and ground. My basic install write up... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/edge-comp/edge-comp.htm

OBDII is not required... Its the CANBUS that comes out of the ECM (Cummins protocol)

I read the install instructions, looks like all engine connections are under the hood. I would assume my engine would have the medium injectors in it, being it using the 16x VP? There are a few models, maybe I should go with the comp box? What are the differences, what are the features?

My vehicle is not really OBDII compliant.

just FYI...my 99 ram is NOT OBD2 compliant but does do most obd2 PIDs.

Diesel engines are not restricted by as stringent emissions standards as gasoline engines and therefore are not 'certified OBDII compliant', except in California.

i think somewhere else i read obd2 wasn't certified(for diesels) until 03 or 04. i know your not dodge, but:

Chrysler LLC has determined that certain Dodge truck and Jeep vehicles have an engine control module (ECM) that will respond and communicate to generic scan tools or Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) equipment with either SAE J1850 (10.4 VPW) or ISO 9141-2 (K-line). These vehicles were intended to exclusively support J1850 however the earlier K-line protocol support was mistakenly not disabled. These ECMs will communicate on whichever protocol is tried first. The same OBD information (e.g., readiness status, fault codes, commanded MIL status, etc.) is available from the ECM on either protocol.

The “dual protocol” support may cause an issue in I/M where programs are expecting a specific protocol to be supported for these vehicles and/or comparing the supported protocol with other like vehicles or past inspection records of the exact same vehicle (e.g., for fraud detection).

they have almost made it so we(at least the dodge guys) need a DRB3!:banghead:

Guesswho, OBDII does not become mandatory until you go below 14000 lbs, and FL does not make any thing that light except the Sprinter and that is a re-badged Mercedes, I am sure you already know. Trucks use J1978 or something like that.MM, It seems I will get the most bang for the buck out of the Comp, and my drive train should be able to handle it just fine. But I will ask about the Juice as well.

At any rate I would make sure you get all the information about it before you order it... Have them double check the information on it...

I emailed them an inquiry on my truck and engine. I will let you know the results. Thanks Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they never even got back to me, yet they like to send spam to me now LOL. I was thinking try and get a used one on Flea bay, I could always sell it, if it don't work. My engine and truck was built in early 2000 although it is a 2001 MY.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

I did find the triangle shaped plug that is filled with a red plastic substance, it was more in the mid rear position of the engine on the drivers side near the fuel filter. I did not get a good look at the map sensor yet, but I think the 2000-2001 comp would work?

(from the edge install manual)

Data Link Connection

14.The Data Link connector is located

in different locations based on the

year of the truck:

- 98.5-99 the triangle shaped

connector is located on the drivers

side of the engine in the wiring

harness near the power steering

pump

- 2000-2001 the three prong flat

connector is located on top of the

fuel lift pump that is located on the

driver’s side of the engine directly

below the MAP sensor, note: on

some 2001 truck’s the connector is

located on the drivers side of the

engine in the wiring harness near

the power steering pump

15.A plug is installed in the data link connector on the truck to resist

corrosion, remove this and install the supplied connector.

Boost