• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help please, pinhole in raidiator.

• Staff

I made it to the end of the job and replaced the radiator yesterday with a napa/spectra radiator w/lifetime warranty less than the dealer with better warranty, can't go wrong. I also changed the t-stat while there to the 180* option for the warmer weather down here in FL. I also found out that the radiator that started leaking was a very low quality radiator the core was actually thinner that the spectra replacement. I'll post pics soon for refrence.

I am not sure the 180° was a good idea. The cooler thermostat will have several negative effects and I don't think any positive effects. 

The higher temperature is more efficient, but just how much is a ??? Anyhow, diesels like heat and a cooler thermostat will generally mean lower power and/or mileage. 

Also your fan clutch is electronically controlled and doesn't really start getting actuated until ±215°. The max allowable temperature on a 180° thermostat is 212° (Cummins limit, not Dodge), so you have basically taken your fan out of the equation. 

• Like 1

I will give a try over the summer and see how it feels, even with the 190* t stat I had before I would rarely see 210*+ unless I was at idle for a while. Its pretty easy to swap out and they are about $20-30. Also I have always noticed that when I am runing the AC no matter what the scenario coolant temp drops to 188* and doesnt pass 196* and that was with the old 190* t stat. does the Cummins t-stat have a higher temp setting or is it 190* as well ?

• Staff

If you are hitting 210° at idle you have other problems, that is above full open on the thermostat and there is no way you need that much cooling at idle. I would guess the thermostat was bad or your fan clutch is failing, probably the thermostat thou as the fan doesn't run much even with the a/c on at idle. 

The 190° thermostat cracks at 190°±3°, goes full open at 207°, and has a max allowed temp of 225°. 

The 180° thermostat cracks at 180°±3°, goes full open at 198°, and has a max allowed temp of 212°.

Watch those non-OEM thermostats closely, they get pretty awful reviews.  

Your temperature is very stable because you have a 7+ gallon cooling system. Even pulling 7% grades on a 95° day at 20K GCW at 65mph I don't get too hot and run 215° on the grades. It's a good temp because the fan modulates around 50% for most of the grade. 

In addition to what you mentioned above I did a little more reading and 190* OEM is the way to go. What sold me was that the warmer temps are better for proper lubrication and oem t-stat fails open as where some aftermarket fail closed.

Would anyone happen to know who is the manufacturer for cummins oem t stat?

If you are hitting 210° at idle you have other problems, that is above full open on the thermostat and there is no way you need that much cooling at idle. I would guess the thermostat was bad or your fan clutch is failing, probably the thermostat thou as the fan doesn't run much even with the a/c on at idle.

The 190° thermostat cracks at 190°±3°, goes full open at 207°, and has a max allowed temp of 225°.

The 180° thermostat cracks at 180°±3°, goes full open at 198°, and has a max allowed temp of 212°.

Watch those non-OEM thermostats closely, they get pretty awful reviews.

Your temperature is very stable because you have a 7+ gallon cooling system. Even pulling 7% grades on a 95° day at 20K GCW at 65mph I don't get too hot and run 215° on the grades. It's a good temp because the fan modulates around 50% for most of the grade.

Also oem responds more acurately to the temp fluctuations you stated above.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, just chiming in on this topic. I went back to the Cummins T-stat and temps are a lot more stable. I contacted cummins gave them my engine code and they got me the exact t stat that the engine needed. The results are noticably different in temp levels, even compared to a premium 190* t stat the cummins t-stat holds temps more consistantly.