• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering Box

Ok so I was looking under my truck because a friend of mine told me to check steering shaft because when I am making a turn the steering wheel kinda takes an extra turn like if it was loose or even when I change lanes, so I was looking under and saw this leak could it be coming out of the steering box or can it be coming out of the pwr steering pump because I have seen a leak from there but very small. Any clues ?Also if I do need to change the steering box any tips on how to do it?

post-10142-138698164104_thumb.jpg

post-10142-138698164111_thumb.jpg

post-10142-13869816412_thumb.jpg

• Owner

If it was me I would just get a seal kit and rebuild it yourself... There is 2 seals in that spot a outter dust seal and a inner hydraulic seal. As for pulling the box out is rather easy. But first thing center the steering and tie the steering wheel in place. (This will protect the clock spring from damage). The pull the steer shaft loose from the box. (Input and output). disconnect the power steering fluid lines, then unbolt the gear box and remove... The sad part is that this most likely wouldn't of happen if you where changing you power steering fluid every 30K miles...

I would not attempt to rebuild it, there is more to them than you think. If it is loose and worn and leaking it is best to just replace it. There are new ones on the market for them now and have a faster 3.3 turn ratio rather than the 4.5 turn they came with. Here is a link to them http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BORG-800112

• Owner

I went to the dealer and the guy there couldnt find the seals I need so he gave me a print out here it is can you see the seals ?

Funny... I use to head into NAPA and just get a rebuild kit for the steering box and normally came with every seal and O-ring. But...

I would not attempt to rebuild it, there is more to them than you think. If it is loose and worn and leaking it is best to just replace it. There are new ones on the market for them now and have a faster 3.3 turn ratio rather than the 4.5 turn they came with. Here is a link to them http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BORG-800112

W&F and has point there if the part are wore out and loose then a rebuild kit won't fix that but it would repair a leaky seal but if the bearings / sleeves are shot it will soon wear the seals out again...
  • Like 1

Ok got it all back on checked the pitman arm and it looks good ,I installed a napa gear box a 3 turn one and took it of for a spin works great and had to tight the nut thats on pitman arm to the gearbox with some vise grips because I didnt had a socket for that but planning on getting one tomorrow does anybody know the torque on that, I did make sure it was tight with the vise grip. O and I also installed a new carter lift pump from cummins :( (since I am not planning on keeping it , a friend is interested in it so didn't want to invest alot) I also got a gauge on it is giveing me 14 psi at idle and 11 at WOT . I hope this helps me with the vp44 haveing a P0216 because the 2 stroke oil did made a difference.