• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Time for my first Cummins Headgasket

What coolant temps are you running?

How about boost and EGT's?

Coolant temps stayed pretty solid near the middle of my gauge.  Never pushed high.

Egts never got worrisome.  Stayed under 1100 the whole trip.

I never pushed boost over 25psi

Edited by Nates1999

Sounds like the cap to me. If there is anything over 12 or 14psi I can't remember which our cap is, it should pour into the overflow not out any of the boots. Where did you purchase your cap from?

As for clamps you need the constant tension spring clamps. It'll keep those hoses tight through the expansion and contraction.

You really need to test and see if you are getting pressure into the coolant system with a gauge. If the pressures are that high it could blow out freeze plugs and that's another story.

I believe our caps are set at 16psi.  I replaced my old leaking cap with a factory dodge cap (which still leaked a little), and then a NAPA cap, which didn't leak at all before I changed the gasket.

I never had any coolant seepage at the hoses before the gasket

Hoses are rock hard most of the time now. Problem seems most noticeable right after cold startup.  I think it seals itself up when it gets to temp.

Well.  I put on a new cap (again) and new clamps (used constant torque types) and it appears that the issue is gone... Yay!  Clamps I was originally sold were way too big for the hoses.  They "wormed" down nice and tight, but the new ones are MUCH higher quality.  Hopefully all good now.