• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Power steering mystery

Ok so I know we have the hydro boost on our trucks so that is why I dont want to tempt fate on this one. As for my mystery when I was up north last week I saw single digit temps about 5 degrees f. I went and started my truck to move it out of the way, it started fine but I had no power steering and a growl from the pump so I shut it off checked the fluid to find it on the full line and smelling terribly burnt (I should let you know now that before I ever travel 200 plus miles from home for work I check all fluid for levels and abnormal smells... ect. it was fine when I left) I went back to the cab fired it up and I had power steering so I moved it and continued working thinking I would deal with it later on, well on the way back to my sleeping quarters I noticed a large pool of oil under the truck and yup its power steering and now I have none left so I borrowed my co workers truck went and got fluid in the morning and threw it in there worked for the day without problems and no leaks and when I left that evening untill I got on the highway I didnt have any power steering though I did have power brakes, when I got off all was fine and as it should be and as of this moment I have flushed the system and and all is good minus a minor growl under hard turns and my new fluid is degrading quickly (hence burning). Is my pump failing and where did the fluid come from it hasnt dripped a drop since, any help would be awesome and as always thanks again in advance.

Sorry for the delay I just got back in town it now has new fluid but needs to be flushed again it gets changed/flushed once every year usaually about 40k it leaked out all the fluid over an 8 hour period and hasnt leaked since just burning fluid and it is not on the ground though definatley going somewhere added a quart yesterday, did I kill the pump by over running the fluid I plan to flush it today as well as install my modded bhaf heat shield thanks for the template by the way Moparman

• Owner

Your going to have to figure out the source of the leak and deal with that... But I'm starting to wonder if the pump is damaged too? (Burning the fluid) All the other device in the system don't create heat... Only the pump does so the idea of the fluid scorching is rather strange unless there is a bearing problem? (Maybe)

Thanks for the tips I have located a ruptured rubber stopper on the dip tube allowing it to blow the fluid out that way other than that I dryed the lines off and since they have stayed that way a little weep on high pressure but no driping just enough to make the fitting and not the line damp Erv said there is a chance that the pump internal gear is failing and causing it to boil the oil out the top while driving which is wear it seems to be coming from considering the only wet place is from the cap down one side of the resivoir have you ever hear of a pump boiling oil and I must say this is quite puzzling to the point if I can figure it out I'll throw pics up this aft so you can see what the resivoir and lines look like. Thnaks in advance for all you help Moparman