• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vp 44 trouble, or ground problem

Can somebody give me a number of grounds under the hood. I am thinking maybe some grounds are missing. I know the truck was wrecked before I bought it, but very little damage, left fender and grill.I am haveing problems with vp44's I am on the 4th one now, and grounds are all I can think of. I am thinking if I just go buy a wireing harness I will know all conections are good and all grounds are there.Thanks

I see you are a welder, just curious, do you weld alot of accessories to your truck? I read in one of my owners manuals for my Freightliner a warning about welding on trucks with computers in them. Think about it, have you electrically welded something to your truck following each VP replacement? While I was at it I did a search for you: http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard/archive/index.php/t-8714.html http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=my-myy&p=disconnect+battery+before+welding+truck+with+computer&SpellState=n-3531376294_q-FD59OLvh1FBxbl.W5RLPWAAAAA%40%40&fr2=sp-qrw-corr-top This could be your problem?

• Like 1

• Owner

Interesting point there Flman... Might be a good idea to hook a battery disconnect on the system to isolate the truck from the frame... But as for grounds there is several ground under the hood... There is one near the battery on the driver side, there is one behind the starter on the block, and then the common cable that hook to the block... but the dodge FSM would be the best resource for looking up all the grounds...

• Like 1

I think the spike from the welder, actually goes through the negative of the battery to the positive side and spikes the system. You also have EMF if you are welding near a wire for something as simple as lighting, it can get back to the computer and fry things. One of the posts from my search, said that alot of heavy trucks and equipment will have stickers right on the frame, warning the welder to disconnect the battery negative, and keep the ground local to the welding area. It seems as all Jl's VP failures have been computer related?

That is a good thought, but I have not welded on the truck in about two years. I installed my bed and unhooked the grounds from the batts. before welding. But I was wondering if there could be a magnetic problem with the leads being wraped on the side of the truck? I never weld with the eng. running.

On your website, I see you have a welding trailer. Maybe welding with it attached is causing a problem? I am not the one to know that, I would talk with other people in your trade. I don't think it matters, engine running or off, you can still zap the components.

I think your right because the more I think about it I belive a spike in current can travel even if the grounds are disconected. And does the vp44 store some power even if disconected? That would explain it maybe, I am not that technical on these maters. I know that my welder can spike as high as 40 volts. And just because I dont weld on it dont mean my scumbag exemployee didnt weld on it. I will from now on unplug the vp when welding is necessary from now on.

Michael I think we may have figured out something here, what is your thought on the storeing power deal in the vp. Here is my thought if it stores power then by the time I disconect the batts. and strike a arc then its already to late.

As far as the trailer goes it has a wood floor, but if it where wet? Well I just thought about it there is no need to weld on trailer you really cant put anything on it because it would be to low, uncomfortable to work off of. A person would go to the back of the truck. And that is where my scumbage exemployee would come in to play. I hope he reads my post sometimes, because I have drug him thru the mud, not his name but just the fact he is what he is. he he he

Can you imagine going to somebodys web site and saying to your self that gate looks familiar and that one too all of the sudden you say s--- this ahole stole my web site. Well thats who used to work for me. A real swell guy,uh

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

anybody out there

• Owner

I think your right because the more I think about it I belive a spike in current can travel even if the grounds are disconected.

Actually you got to disconnect the POS cable because there is several places where ground wiring is connected to the frame.

And does the vp44 store some power even if disconected?

Not that I know of...

That would explain it maybe, I am not that technical on these maters. I know that my welder can spike as high as 40 volts. And just because I dont weld on it dont mean my scumbag exemployee didnt weld on it. I will from now on unplug the vp when welding is necessary from now on.

I would still suggest just pulling the positive cable or put in a positive disconnect to disconnect all electronics (PCM, ECM, CAB, SRS etc.)

Michael I think we may have figured out something here, what is your thought on the storeing power deal in the vp. Here is my thought if it stores power then by the time I disconect the batts. and strike a arc then its already to late.

Actually what stores power is the SRS AirBags system there is a capacitor that holds power for a good 1-2 minutes so if in a vehicle accident there is enough power to fire the AirBags.

As far as the trailer goes it has a wood floor, but if it where wet? Well I just thought about it there is no need to weld on trailer you really cant put anything on it because it would be to low, uncomfortable to work off of. A person would go to the back of the truck. And that is where my scumbage exemployee would come in to play. I hope he reads my post sometimes, because I have drug him thru the mud, not his name but just the fact he is what he is. he he he

Can you imagine going to somebodys web site and saying to your self that gate looks familiar and that one too all of the sudden you say s--- this ahole stole my web site. Well thats who used to work for me. A real swell guy,uh

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

anybody out there

Oh Yeah just been busy web page building... But comments are in blue...

• Like 1