• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Drag Link Replacement

dorkweed

Just got done with this chore about an hour ago.

Discovered the OEM was shot yesterday.   Had some time yesterday;  so I asked the neighbor to come over and lend a hand so I could check ball joints and tie rod ends etc.  Jack one side up with the floor jack, neighbor on the 4 ft. bar under the wheel drivers side lifting and releasing..................essentially no movement I could see or feel.  Then on the same side, neighbor grabs wheel and 3 and 9 o'clock and tries turning wheel back and forth.  No movement at tie rod end, but the the drag link end had 5/16" at least of movement, and the rubber boot was split.  We did the same on the other side, and the results were the same...............ball joints and tie rods seem good.  

Got a new drag link bar today from AutoZone.............Just under $90 out the door.  Not a hard job, but this thing weighs almost 20lbs. and trying to maneuver that thing while laying down under the truck is a chore when you're not so young any longer!!!

Here's a few pix of the OEM one and the apparent problem!!!  New one looked almost like a twin minus the dirt, grease and rust.

It's so stupid that you cannot just replace the "ball joint" at the end.  That just makes TOO much sense I guess!!!

post-7-0-89913500-1441039192_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-44344200-1441039267_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-36826800-1441039457_thumb.jpg

Track bar is easy to replace compared to this bad boy.................

I replaced my drag link about 4 or 5 years ago along with every thing. I had the whole thing apart so it did not seem any worse than the others. But the track is only one nut and bolt, another nut and a pickle fork and it is out. Still weighs 20 #'s though. :tongue: And I am 62.

Edited by dripley

I replaced my drag link about 4 or 5 years ago along with every thing. I had the whole thing apart so it did not seem any worse than the others. But the track is only one nut and bolt, another nut and a pickle fork and it is out. Still weighs 20 #'s though. :tongue: And I am 62.

51 cowboy!!! :2cents:  :thumb1: