• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Squeaking from the middle passenger area during hard acceleration in the cab of the truck

As the title states I have a chirping squeak under acceleration never heard something like this and whats worse is it is in the cab within the dash. Also the forward dash screws keep getting loose definitely becoming an annoyance any clues as to how to keep them tight and what may cause a chirping sound in the dash?

As my dash plastic deteriorates, I do here a few squeaks now and again.  If they are getting loose, the only thing I can think of is to see if there is an appropriate thread locker from Loctite that will work for it. If I repaint mine, it will be getting a new dash as well.  There was a good thread here that I believe dripley did on dash replacement. 

I would also be concerned that it could be the control arms going bad off the front axle.

As my dash plastic deteriorates, I do here a few squeaks now and again. If they are getting loose, the only thing I can think of is to see if there is an appropriate thread locker from Loctite that will work for it. If I repaint mine, it will be getting a new dash as well. There was a good thread here that I believe dripley did on dash replacement.

I would also be concerned that it could be the control arms going bad off the front axle.

I am a 2 wheel drive and I've got a new dash. Been in there since last year.

I am a 2 wheel drive and I've got a new dash. Been in there since last year.

Ah. Some flavor of loc tite then, metal on metal would be easy.  It might take some reading on their site to find the metal to plastic threadlocker. 

Ah. Some flavor of loc tite then, metal on metal would be easy. It might take some reading on their site to find the metal to plastic threadlocker.

All small screws holding the lower dash and upper dash cap are tight. The upper dash screws by the windshield (all 5 of them) keep loosening up but I do not believe they thread into metal. I believe there are some sort of polymer they thread into that is attached to the firewall.

Threadlocker blue isn't recommended for plastic.  Red is.  

The below stuff is also an option, but not to be found at the auto parts store. It is designed for plastic.

http://www.henkelna.com/industrial/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797887234049

If the boss that the screws go into is damaged, loose, or cracked it may not work though.  

Edited by CSM

I did post a thread on doing mine but cant find it and dont remember exactly what those screws went into. does it still squeak even after re tightening the screws and when does do it? by that I mean at shut down, just driving, or bumpy roads and the like.

Threadlocker blue isn't recommended for plastic. Red is.

The below stuff is also an option, but not to be found at the auto parts store. It is designed for plastic.

http://www.henkelna.com/industrial/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797887234049

If the boss that the screws go into is damaged, loose, or cracked it may not work though.

Red requires 500 degrees to remove. Red loctite is permanent.

I did post a thread on doing mine but cant find it and dont remember exactly what those screws went into. does it still squeak even after re tightening the screws and when does do it? by that I mean at shut down, just driving, or bumpy roads and the like.

Only under heavy acceleration and yes I did retighten several screws. I'm tempted to lower the steering wheel and begin disassembling the dash. Edited by Vais01

Does it change at when you turn the steering wheel? I've heard some weird noises from steering columns. Also just thinking out loud, is there a constant vacuum source under the dash? Maybe a small leak that's causing a squel when you get on it. Little far fetched but it's worth a shot.

Definitely no change I'm not going to turn at wide open throttle. Although in a slower turn at wide open there was no change.

I have used 3m super weatherstrip adhesive on other vehicles. Especially where screws go into metal u-nuts. It doesn't harden and sticks very well. May work on plastic.

I was thinking of doing something very similar either way I need to do a dash roll down and possibly pull the upper dash cover to check out anything else that may be causing the chirping.

• 2 weeks later...

Well gents.

Small update the dash is rolled down for now until tomorrow afternoon. 3 of the 4 polymer nuts are not holding tension and one has split. These are the nuts on the upper dash and snap into the firewall. Going to go and add a bit of sound deadening there also as well as behind both A pillars. I will also be sealing up an opening at the firewall where the heater core tubes pass through also. Seems the foam is a bit loose fitting there. I think a dab of silicone should do the trick. I will be giving yall a heads up tomorrow on my results. Hopefully no more squeaking.

Ok guys seems my noise was 2 parts.

A: dash vibration due to plastic screw retainers broken.

B: Exhaust manifold leak on numbers 5 and 6. Seems the cap screws backed out. Not sure how that happens when the cap screws are torqued to 32 ft lb.

I did retorque the cap screws after giving them a fresh dab of bit of Nickel anti-seize. (Never use aluminum or copper anti-seize on disimillar metals. Ask me how I know).

Anyway all is well now. Hopefully it stays that way.