• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

4x4 POSI Lock Cable

Hi all,

I have the POSI Lock cable actuator for my 4x4. I didn't install it, it was on the truck when I bought it. I am wondering if anyone else who has one has had issues with the 4x4 indicator light coming on when its not engaged? When I bought the truck the light didn't work. I soon figured out that it just wasn't connected and fixed it. After that the light would sometimes flicker while driving, but I could usually fix it by twisting the cable until it was snug. Today the light was on but very faintly and I couldn't get it to go off. If I pulled the cable it would come on all the way, but when I pushed it in it would stay on very faintly. Later in the day I had the batteries unplugged for a good while as I installed my new Mopar1973man High Idle Switch. After reconnecting the batts the light is off and no more issue. I am concerned that the collar could be partly engaging and that it will be damaged from driving with it partially engaged. Has anyone else dealt with this? Can I just open up the CAD and fix it somehow so its not so sensitive? 

Thanks in advance!

leather,

Don't be afraid of it.  It is a very nice simple mechanical system, easy to understand when you get it apart.  I don't have the cable yet, but I have converted mine to mechanical.  (I just go through the wheel well and push my pin in to lock it, and have tie wire to hold it.  yeah very back yard, but works for me :) )

The total travel is only about 3/4" to 7/8" travel from fully locked to fully unlocked.  I begin locking BEFORE my light comes on, so If I get a flicker it is still engaged. I think you are engaged too.

Take a peek and adjust it properly.  You will know then.

HTH

Hag

Thanks for the reply, figured I'd update this incase anyone needs help in the future.

I emailed posi lock about the issue. They responded very quickly and asked that I call them at my earliest convenience. I did and they were very helpful. The person I spoke with was very knowledgable about the posi lock and explained exactly how it works and what his best guess was as to the cause of the problem. He said he thought either the cable needed to be adjusted, or the switch was going bad. He also explained how to adjust the cable. A new switch is available from Fastnel. The brand very specific and and is Pollak, part number 21-435. However, it is $40. I decided to try adjusting the cable first. I did this by removing the housing from the axle and screwing the housing farther onto the end of the cable. This seemed to help quite a bit so thats how I'm going to leave it for now. Basically, if adjusting the cable doesnt work, the switch is bad.