• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Straightening out wiring harness.

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

You are putting bad ideas into my head.

Honestly, it not that difficult to do. It only takes about 30 minutes to get the harness out.

Here are some tips from my experience;

Think ahead before you start removing the harness. Are there random unused connectors floating around that you'd like to remove? Are some wires a mile too long, while others are too short? Do you want to change the way some of the wires are ran? Plan all of this out before you start, it will make things go easier. 

I used uninsulated butt connectors and heat shrink tubing when shortening wires, I highly recommend them. Also, make sure you stagger the connectors to keep the profile as minimal as possible. 

One thing you do NOT want to do is completely unwrap the entire harness at one time, it will make keeping the various plugs in the right location more difficult.

Since the ends of the harness tape need to be secured, try to make as long of wraps as you can. Wrap connector wires first, tying the wraps in to the main harness. This will allow you to wrap over the ends when wrapping the main harness, eliminating the need to secure the ends of the connector wire wrap. 

Edited by The_Hammer
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, The_Hammer said:

I do have some questions about the fusible links, which the truck currently has none of.

Is there supposed to be one in-line of the power wire going to the shutdown solenoid relay?

What about for the starter relay?

Should fusible links be two gauges smaller than the wire it's protecting?

The Fuel Heater and FSS both get 16ga fusible links.  I don't know what the grids get.  The starter I'm not sure about, if it does, it's under the insulation.

I'm with Nick on this one.

Edited by Cowboy
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

The Fuel Heater and FSS both get 16ga fusible links.  I don't know what the grids get.  The starter I'm not sure about, if it does, it's under the insulation.

I'm with Nick on this one.

The fuel heater and it's wiring are gone. I've got a 16ga fusible link for the FSS, I wanted to make sure it was correct before installing it. The starter relay power wire has been replaced somewhere along the line so there isn't a link installed. The grid heater relays do in fact have links. I'm wanting to make sure everything is set up right. I've had wiring burst in to flames on a previous vehicle before, due to shoddy wiring by the previous owner. 

Edited by The_Hammer