• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

vp44 cummins stand alone wiring help

I am wanting to do a 24 valve cummins swap into a truck and i was wanting to know if a factory wiring harness could be modified to work without the original truck. I have been told that the 98.5'-00' trucks and the 01'- 02' have slightly different wiring. My question is has anyone done a stand alone wiring harness or does anyone have a diagram of a factory harness that has been turned into a stand alone harness?

You need EVERYTHING from the donor truck.  You cannot make a 98-00 truck run a 01-02 motor or the other way around without everything.  

They have different wiring, different ecm flash, and different sensors.   More involved than wiring changes.

do you have a 98-00 truck or engine?

yes its a 2000 truck.

i am wanting to put a 46 dodge 1.5 ton body on a 2000 4wd 5 speed frame and running gear.

sorry about not being clear on that i want to be able to run the vp44 24 valve without being in a 2nd gen dodge. i did a search on 24 valve stand alone wiring and found a guy on youtube who had used the original wiring and modified it to be stand alone. he had a link to a site he had found the wiring diagram but i tried to access it and it had been deleted. 

Cummins used to make and supply the Dodge techs with a stand alone pigtail that would let the engine run at idle with the VP plugged into it.  We have talked about it here before but I don't have the details on it.  

So it is possible, but finding that info might take a while.  I never put a ton of work into it.  

it would be possible to make a stand alone harness, just pull everything out of a truck and rig it on a test stand with some batteries.  However, I don't know if it is worth the hassle unless you plan on test running a bunch of engines.  

well i like the idea of being able to put a vp cummins in an older vehicle. it might not be worth doing but if its possible and not EXTREMELY involved i think it would be a fun project, most cummins swaps i know of are mechanical injection. i have seen a buick riviera that has a 24 valve with the vp44, i don't know if it has an original harness or a painless harness.