• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How do you turn on 3 cyl high idle with a smarty in the factory stock ECM program?

I just got my S-03 smarty. I've read through the manual and have an idea on how to use it.

However, the manual don't tell me how to just turn on the high idle in the stock ECM program.

When I load a catcher program (they all have high idle enabled in them) to the ECM, the smarty stores much of the original ECM program and then vin locks so It can't be used on another truck. I can restore the original program to my truck and then the smarty unlocks so it can be used on another truck.

So my question is when the original program is restored to the ECM is the high idle turned off or left on in the ECM?

There is no specific function in the smarty to turn on the high idle feature, so how can I turn it on for a buddies truck and still have my smarty to use on my truck?

If loading a catcher program on the buddies truck turns on high idle and then restoring his original program leaves high idle on and unlocks the smarty, then all is cool.

Just trying to understand how to do it.

Oh, the manual also says "If you have a performance-enhancing device installed, it must be removed.".

I have a PowerMax3 on the truck which does boost fooling and taps the VP44. Can I just set it to factory setting (off or 0) setting, or do I need to unplug the boost fooler cable from the MAP, reconnect the factory cable and detach the tap to the VP44 when I load a catcher program to the truck?

Thanks

Jim

i was under the impression that smarty doesn't actually save your ecms programing. it just has a default one in memory. i was told the the stock programming still gives high and 3 cylinder idles. so i believe you can activate your buddy's truck

The manual doesn't specifically cover whether the smarty stores the parameters of the stock program or just loads a default one.

That's why I'm asking the questions hoping to get someone who has used the smarty to respond with what works and what doesn't.

Thanks

Jim

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

Here is what MADs electronics site FAQs say:

"Smarty does NOT download the complete original software from the ECM and does not store it into it's memory. That

is for a simple reason. The protocol in the ECM does not allow to read the flash memory.

How can Smarty then return to stock? Simple he has all the latest stock softwares already on board. When you choose

to return the truck back to stock, Smarty takes the stock software from it's memory and updates the ECM with that

software."

The FAQs do not address the other questions I asked.

It does not say whether or not high idle is turned on in those stock software programs.

Any answers are appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

• Owner

I just got my S-03 smarty. I've read through the manual and have an idea on how to use it.

However, the manual don't tell me how to just turn on the high idle in the stock ECM program.

When I load a catcher program (they all have high idle enabled in them) to the ECM, the smarty stores much of the original ECM program and then vin locks so It can't be used on another truck. I can restore the original program to my truck and then the smarty unlocks so it can be used on another truck.

Because of the software it just enabled the single bit for the high idle software. Remember the ECM thinks in logic so the smarty just enables the bit for you...

So my question is when the original program is restored to the ECM is the high idle turned off or left on in the ECM?

There is no specific function in the smarty to turn on the high idle feature, so how can I turn it on for a buddies truck and still have my smarty to use on my truck?

It will be enabled after the first software pack you upload (flash) to the ECM after you return to stock the high idle bit is left ON.

If loading a catcher program on the buddies truck turns on high idle and then restoring his original program leaves high idle on and unlocks the smarty, then all is cool.

Just trying to understand how to do it.

Oh, the manual also says "If you have a performance-enhancing device installed, it must be removed.".

I have a PowerMax3 on the truck which does boost fooling and taps the VP44. Can I just set it to factory setting (off or 0) setting, or do I need to unplug the boost fooler cable from the MAP, reconnect the factory cable and detach the tap to the VP44 when I load a catcher program to the truck?

Thanks

Jim

Not much to it... I barrowed Bob Wagner smarty and fired up the Catcher without timing and played for a few hours and enjoyed the power. Then returned to stock and the high idle bit was left on. So now high idle is set forever till a dealer plays with it of my ECM dies...:stuned:

• Like 1

• Staff

The Smarty has the most current (at time of update) Dodge program loaded in it, and it will return your truck to that when you go back to stock..Example.. your truck has stock software AA on it, but AE is the most current, the Smarty will put your truck to AE when it goes back to stock. It also uses AE to get its "baseline" for the Smarty tunes.

• Like 2

Okay, thanks.

Another question:

The manual also says "If you have a performance-enhancing device installed, it must be removed.".

I have a PowerMax3 on the truck which does boost fooling and taps the VP44.

Question - Can I just set the PowerMax to factory setting (off or 0), or do I need to unplug the boost fooler cable from the MAP, reconnect the factory cable and detach the tap to the VP44 when I load a catcher program to the truck?

• Owner

Okay, thanks.

Another question:

The manual also says "If you have a performance-enhancing device installed, it must be removed.".

I have a PowerMax3 on the truck which does boost fooling and taps the VP44.

Question - Can I just set the PowerMax to factory setting (off or 0), or do I need to unplug the boost fooler cable from the MAP, reconnect the factory cable and detach the tap to the VP44 when I load a catcher program to the truck?

You should be fine if its set at zero.

Yeap... On my Edge Comp I just shut it off and was fine for the flash... :thumbup2: (Confirmed!)

so how does it run?:drool:

Well I haven't tried to see what it will do yet. I put the #3 smarty tune on that gives boost fooling, fuel and timing advance. I never turned on the powermax3 on for todays run, but it felt quite a bit stronger than just the truck on stock tune. I'm really looking for better mileage than the stock tune gives. Perhaps this weekend I'll play a little to see what this tune does with the powermax3 stacked. Before the smarty I could easily push 42 lbs on the hx35 and 1600 EGT. I really don't feel I need any more than that so the smarty was to get high idle and better mileage if possible.