• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hydroboost replacement

Hey all, 

Got another question for the group. I have two brake issues that have been there since I bought my truck, but only just now getting around to. Both are hydroboost related. First, it leaks on the inside of the firewall. No question there, it needs rebuilt or replaced, however I don't think rebuilding is an option because of the second issue. Namely, the pedal is very slow to return. Takes about 3 good seconds for it to return and my brake controller light to go out, and even longer when the truck is cold. I had a friend help me flush the power steering fluid, but that didn't help much if at all. So I'm looking into a new hydrobooster. My question is, does anyone know of any specific brand to look for, or to avoid? Any success stories or horror stories with reman hydroboosters? Is there anywhere that sells actual NEW ones?

thanks in advance!

Edited by leathermaneod

Well I was working on a project under the dash today and it looks like my leak is getting a little bigger so I'm not go a hold off anymore. I don't want my interior getting a ps fluid bath when this thing finally blows. I checked with Napa and autozone, seems like they both have the same thing, Cardone reman. Only autozone is $50 cheaper at $220 plus $70 core charge. Plus I like autozones warranty better. So hopefully tomorrow I'll be flushing the system again, then installing the new booster and some new hoses.

Let me know if anyone has any opinions on a better booster or anything specific I should do to be sure this solves my issues!! 

While Cardone is not the first choice of a lot of folks, i have used things from them over the years and not really had any constant problems from their products. I replaced my wifes rack and pinion on her Dakota with a Cardone unit several months ago mainly because they had the best warranty of the other two choices, about double the two other brands with a lower price. She totaled the truck about 2 months later and I never had to test the warranty. If that is the only thing available I would probably buy it, Though if I had time, I would most likely try and rebuild myself. Faced with time constraints I would have to go the route you are going. I personally Dont know what else is out there. 

Thanks for the reply! I looked around a little, but Google wasn't helping too much. I did find a site that had new units on CF, but they only had up to a 99. Plus the new unit was about $500. That's just way to much for me to spend on this thing. As far as rebuilding, I would love to attempt it, but I don't think it would help the slow pedal return, and that's half the issue I'm hoping to solve. I'm also not totally sure that mine is original so it might not be worth rebuilding anyway. 

2 hours ago, CTcummins24V said:

There will be some disassembly of the old part to transfer onto the new part. The mounting bracket, spring and star wheel thing. I spent the money on a NAPA reman unit, if I could do it again I would just rebuild it myself. 

Thanks for the reply! I got everything apart. How did you get the spring and spring retainer and push rod out of the old unit? Do you have to disassemble it? I took the mounting bracket off but that didn't help...I'm also going be replacing the brake master cylinder too. I had to take it off to get the hydroboost out, and I figured it might go at any time. Plus it was a little wet inside so it might have been leaking. Just not sure if it was brake fluid or ps fluid. Thankfully autozone has a new master cylinder, not reman. I wish I had a new steering bushing to throw in right now, it would be super easy with all this apart...

Edited by leathermaneod

Just wanted to close out this thread in case anyone is following. Got the job done. Parts are easy to transfer over, just have to be gentler getting the spring retainer out of the old hydrobooster. I did have to remove the brake master cylinder, didn't want to risk bending the lines. After taking it off I decided to replace that too. Then while waiting for a friend to help with putting things back together I decided to go over my brakes. That turned into new pads, rotors, calipers, and sway bar links all the way around. Has anyone else out there had issues with the rear driver side sway bar link gouging their fuel tank?! We finally got everything buttoned up and put back together. Then we followed the initial run process out of the fsm for bleeding the power steering/hydrobooster. After that we went on to bleeding brakes. We didn't bother bench bleeding the new master cylinder since the whole system was almost totally empty with removing all four calipers. We went around the truck twice just to be sure we got all the air out. Actually didn't take that long. It's amazing what a difference there is in my brake pedal now. Way more firm and there is almost no travel compared to how it was before. I did have to replace the brake light switch under the dash because I had to push the pedal pretty far before the lights would come on. I'm not sure if the slow pedal return is fixed, because it still seems to come back kinda slow, however the travel is so much less that I don't think it's going to be an issue. Now my next project is resealing my vacuum pump!

I recently replaced a hydroboost. I learned the hard way about the spring, retainer, and push rod. I disassembled it and noticed the retainer fell out through the end there where there is the little notch to maneuver it and pull it out with the rest of the stuff. (shaking my head). I didn't think that was what the notch was for. Anyway...learning experience. No need to take everything apart.