• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

48RE starting to act up

angus

I was on my way home yesterday evening, and had to stop at an intersection a couple of miles from the house. As I was coasting to a stop the transmission made a noticeable downshift.. which I have never noticed it do before.

I then turned and while accelerating the 1-2 shift seemed late and the 2-3 was late and hard.

The road has a 45mph speed limit and normally the truck shifts into overdrive right around 45, but this time it wanted to stay in 3rd.

As I got into town 25mph streets it still seemed to want to stay in a lower gear than normal.

Checked the fluid this morning and it appears normal. decided to go down and check for codes. The truck now runs and shifts normal again, with no codes????

I am overdue on the fluid and filter service.

I`m wondering if anyone has seen something like this on 3rd gens??

The transmission has 175k  relatively easy miles on it. I usually drive like I have the proverbial egg under the foot pedal, but I do occasionally let the dog eat...:whistle2:  I`m thinking of doing a cascade GP service kit and a band adjustment and see if I can ease another 20k out of her??

I really had my heart set on doing some BBi injectors this winter, but both are not gonna be in the budget.

Ordered the governor pressure service kit this morning. I drove the truck quite a bit today and its like it never happened. I`m running about 45k since the last service.:spank:

I have to say that I have actually been pretty impressed for a OEM trans so far. Its very smooth under light throttle, and pretty firm when you spool it up.  Then again, it has lived a pretty sheltered life. I just need her to hang on awhile longer before I upgrade.