• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2nd Gen sway bar delete????

I was just about to replace my sway bar bushings and read on another forum some guys removed the sway bar all together. 

The front bar that is...

Anyone here try it?? I know it's better for off roading etc and i'm  certainly no stranger to using swaybar disconnects, but just wondering if people leave them off even for the highway. 

maybe the Suspension is stiff enough that it will not make too much of a difference??

anyway for the amount of time it takes I'm going to remove it and take it for a little spin and see what I find...stay tuned.

P.S-  I did have the rear sway bar disconnected, actually I bought the truck with the links broken and I drove it like that for a while.  As soon as I bolted the links back on the truck drove so much better and wasn't all over the road especially with a load on.  I'm thinking with the backup doubt but the front disconnected it might actually make it right nicer, but I'll take it for a spin first and see what happens.  Keep in mind I have a fourth GEN steering set up on my truck so that might play a role of it actually working better than if I had the stock steering set up .

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

The front bar makes a big difference.  I would just fix the bushings and leave it attached.

It does make somewhat of a difference but unless you litterally grab the wheel and yank it right or left, u can't tell much of a difference at all. It is however a bit smoother on gravel roads and way less noise when you go over wash boards. 

I tried flexing it out and wow huge difference which i excpected. This truck is off road all the time so i think i will look for some sway bar disconnects. 

When my rear sway bar was off it nade much much more of a difference and was so much better once i hooked it up. 

image.jpeg

I'm sure it's safer to leave it attached though.

if the track bar ever lets go it would help hold the diff in there somewhat. 

image.jpeg

Definately want to get that DOR  steering box brace.  If you look at the top of the bumper where the hood meets you can see it's wider at one side than the other slightly so if I had the other style of steering brace that goes from frame to frame you can definitely see how it would put stress on the sector shaft of the steering box.  The DOR Will just mount to the one frame rail so it won't put stress on that sector shaft.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just an update. I put yhe sway bar back on after driving it for a week with out it. It rides better obviously with it off but i like the firmer feel of it at hwy speeds. If i was off road all the time for sure that bar would be off. Maybe i'll get some quick disconects down the road. 

• Like 1