• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Carburetored classic

So sold the truck boys.

Going to a classic gasser.

Looking at early 60s f100 

Or

Early 70s c10 

I know nothing about carburetored cars.

What do I look for ....

What to watch out for ...

Articles to read ? 

Where to start ; ) 

• Owner

Wow... going backwards...

Well as for classic carburetor vehicles I can tell you you might have some thinks to look at. Like most factory carburetors are long gone and been replaced with Edelbrock or some sore of high performance carburetor. Do a bit of study on what was the original CFM sized carburetor that it was designed for. Verify it the correct size for the engine or design currently. Way too many back in the day yank off a old stocker and throw on a overly large carburetor and wonder why the fuel mileage and performance fell. If I'm not mistake the old 60's were really easy to do points and set them. The old Chevy distributors had a nice little windows to open and you could adjust your point gap using a dwell meter. Later the all in one high energy GM electronic ignition came. I've had experience with older Dodge and GM's products.

Hey mike.

Yeah I know.... just want something different to play with for now and love the look.

Late 50's early 60s f100 truck.

Early 70s c10 truck.

Those are the two main ones right now.

Generally looking for ones that have AC /PS and PB ....... and not much work to be done.

What's the best way to know if engine has problems rather than carburetor/plug or timing issue.

Best way to detect a good bondo job ? Magnet ? 

A lot of these are 350 ...389 motors with 350/400 transmissions. Readily available ..... so assuming not too many issues .....

Not sure what to typically check for having never had one.

Don't worry mike ...... I'll be back in a cummins before too long.

Triple turbo?  

11 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

.Like most factory carburetors are long gone and been replaced with Edelbrock or some sore of high performance carburetor.

Most have even gone to aftermarket Throttle body systems. If I were to do an old build I would go throttle body system myself as well. Cheap and super easy to install.

• Like 1

• Owner
21 minutes ago, John Fak said:

What's the best way to know if engine has problems rather than carburetor/plug or timing issue.

Compression test and vacuum test will tell a bunch about the engine.

24 minutes ago, John Fak said:

Don't worry mike ...... I'll be back in a cummins before too long.

Triple turbo?

Who said I was worried??? :shrug:

• Like 1