• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I know mine's a 12 valve, but just for the record.  I held mine at 1300°F for a couple minutes multiple times, and it's seen 1600°F in 20-80 MPH runs in 4th.  This was with stock timing, stock head, basically stock everything.  Well I pulled the head off and everything was in picture perfect condition.

Like AH64ID said, keep the RPM's up and it will live.  With increased RPM, the swirl built into the head prevents the pistons from seeing to much of the heat.  Me personally, if it's burning clean, I don't worry about temps.  Smoke is un-burnt fuel, but it also indicates longer burn times.  The tune I had a while back was to me the perfect towing tune (or my clutch-saver tune).  It maxed out at 34 psi with my HX35 W/spring gate, made 300 hp, and I could hold it to the floor anywhere from 1800 to 2500 and never crest 1200°.

Here's the dyno run of sorts.  The hump at 1700 is a little clutch slippage.screenshot_49.png

Edited by Cowboy
  • Like 1