• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I have run into a problem with my current setup with my egts while towing no matter what I have my my quadzilla set on. 

If I continue to tow a lot what turbo should I upgrade to or should I go back to stock injectors? 

The turbo is the original HX35. 

If I upgraded turbo I just want a direct bolt on. 

Thank an you for your input. 

Gotcha, just curious. I was thinking back to when I was towing the travel trailer. Up some fairly steep grades I saw probably 1000-1100, but that's stock fueling, stock exhaust, stock intake so either way I knew I'd have to really try to get myself in trouble.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Owner
On 8/31/2016 at 9:49 PM, Me78569 said:

Test for boost leaks.   You should be spinning that turbo to mars with the fuel you have.  I would expect 40+ psi. 

Even for my set up I've taped 40 PSI of boost several times now. I would say look for boost leaks as well. Create a boost cap and pressure the system and use some soap solution around gaskets like the intake horn and intake cover. Don't for get to check for around the two sensors MAP and IAT.

I'm running a Edge Products unadjustable elbow. It typically holds fairly true to the 35 PSI if you climb up on it slowly. If you hammer down and grabbing gears the surge is fast right to 40 PSI but usually pops the wastegate and falls again below 36-37 PSI.

Finally got around to building and doing a boost leak test. Only leak I found was at the rubber hose going to the boost elbow.

I also got to messing with the setting on my Quad and have fixed my EGT problem and still have plenty of power with little smoke.

• Like 2

I am doing this off memory cause I don't have it around at this time.

This is what seems to work for me. I think I am set a level 5. 

Power levels: 11

Tps min: 0

Tps max: 100

Tps Can: 5

Tps max: 100

Timing: 7.5

Timing scale: 100

Fuel stretch: 1200

Boost scaling: 35 (I think)

Besides a light haze down low, it clears up and spoil the turbo up a lot faster (or so it seems)

• 3 months later...

I had a very similar problem after some mods which included EDM Mach 2.5 injectors (or so I thought they were 2.5's according to the person I bought them from.....he said they smoked too much for him).  In hindsight I believe these injectors were mismarked and very likely a much larger injector.   My EGT's went crazy even with NO load being pulled and I could kill mosquito's at the drop of a hat with the smoke trail I was leaving. The filter minder would get set even with a NEW OEM airfilter.  I tried an aftermarket high flow oil filled gauze air filter that continued to set the filter minder.  I finally went with the BHAF but my EGT's were still far too high under any kind of a load but much improved.  I next installed a Farm Boy 5 inch straight pipe exhaust and this dramatically lowered my EGT's.......enough to the point that the truck's drivability with a heavy load could be easily managed with a good eye on the EGT's guage, boost gauge, and down shifting to a lower gear to keep temps in line.  Eventually I may go with twins but not before I install head studs.  Bottom line is that if you put a lot more fuel and air through your engine, you need to upgrade the ability to get air in and exhaust gases out. 

• Staff

1150° does seem a little low unless your never wanting to look at the pyro. 

My 0.02 is to set the defuel at 1350° and watch the pyro when towing. You might actually find that with additional boost and 50° more EGT you run better. 

You should be fine at 1250° all day long unless your running very low rpms or VERY advanced timing. 

Edited by AH64ID