• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

02 Erratic idle after warm up

My 02 cummins 2500 4x4 with nv4500 has a rough idle or like a miss after the truck is warmed up. It smooths out if the AC kicks in or you let the clutch out just a little as if you were to roll ahead a bit.  The truck has a new vp44, TPS, and FASS titanium pump. I've seen this problem posted on other forums but nobody had a fix to the rough idle. Anyone have this problem or have a fix for it? Any help would be greatful.

My 02 did that for years, just lived with it as it never really got worse or affected anything else other than being able to hear and feel it once in a while and the weird part was it was only no load hot low idle that it did it same as you turn on the ac or put into gear and it was smooth as silk..Did it through several different injectors pumps and comps/programmers.

• 4 months later...

Thank you for updating and letting us know,  I did hear a rumor that some of these 24 valve heads if worked hard during their life, need a valve and seat job every so often. And some heads crack, it probably has something to do with incorrect warm-up and cool-down, maybe the way it burns fuel also or dirty fuel. My guess if it was a bad seat or a burnt valve, something was keeping the valve from fully closing.

• Like 1

I'm the fourth owner of the pickup so who knows what it's been through. She is almost damn near new now with all the  upgrading and and updates to it. I'm very particular about my stuff so any little hiccup or malfunction I'm looking into it. Hopefully this helps others out. Like I mentioned in my first post, I've seen this problem on a lot of other forums but no definite answer. Thanks everyone for the input.