• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1st first gen,

fuze24v

So, after many months of hunting day in and day out. I have finally found what's seems to be a decent 12 valve. The guy has owned it since 19,000 miles. He knows everything that has ever been done to this pickup, I'm going to be picking it up tomrow, it's about a 6 hr drive from where I am. I have done tons of reading, more then my brain can handle probably, but I wan to make sure I know what I'm getting into. What should I be looking for? Any tips and tricks?  Let me through in here that I just want it as my daily driver, and sometimes a towe pickup, I'm not looking to turn the pump up at all, I am just going to leave it stock. I want the mpg . It's a 92, I'm including a pic and a description on it from what the guy had said, 

Thanks in advance!! Nate 

IMG_2866.PNG

Edited by fuze24v
  • Like 2

• Staff

I think it is a very good deal. My other truck is a 92 5 spd and has twice that many miles. It is still a daily driver work truck.

The big things that had to be done was the clutch at 160k and the trans at 360k. Watch out for weakness in the steering box mounting bracket on the frame. It does crack and one time mine fell apart. I had to find one off of a wreck, have it straightened and reinforced by a certified welder. Before you drive it long ways have someone yank on the wheel back and forth while watching the steering box mount to make sure it's solid.

Also the fuel lines should have been replaced by now as they get brittle and hard, start leaking along the frame. Dropping the tank is a good idea because the fuel canister/ module rots off on some that were made of metal not stainless. I repaired mine out of a 4 inch ABS straight coupling. Been good that way for 12 years now. Also put on a new float on the fuel sending unit because the plastic sort of dwindles away in the fuel. I found a way to adapt a copper float off an old antique car.

It's a good truck. Had mine 20 yrs now and still strong on same engine. Call me and we can talk some other things to look out for.

BTW, I'd never sell mine, love that truck. Never hammerit, just work it when needed and it's been great.

• Like 1

That would be awesome, I would love to learn some more about these old 1st gens! I seen this listing and my jaw hit the floor, I couldn't believe the price he was asking for it. And it's. 4x4!!!!! I'll try to take a peak at the steering box tomrow before I load it up on the trailer, ( I thought those were very common on the first year the came out and faded away later down the road) I don't think the KDP has ever been tabbed, but I will confirm that tomorrow with the guy. I know he told me that the 1st and 2nd sycro in the tranny was going, but I talked to my friend of mine that owns a tranny shop and he said it could be going out or it could be the wrong oil in it, something to do with the wrong oil will wipe the fiber of the brass and it will grab hard, something I have to look into, but he is including another good running tranny with it!! I'm going to check for blow by, check axles and some other thing. I wouldn't imagine to much stuff is wrong with this pickup seeing how he owns a tractor shop and keeps the maintence up.

ill definitely look at the fuel lines, 

• Staff

Good, the original fuel lines are about 1/4 inch i.d. and made of hard plastic. The length near the fuel tank is steel if I remember correctly. It's a great truck and you got a great buy there.

My number is in my profile Nate.