• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Back Up Lights

• Owner

Probably wondering why I mounted backup lights on my rear axle. Simple... I originally had mounted a set of driving lights on the back bumper. About a year later while I was out in the woods collecting fire wood I back up over a pile of rocks and crushed a light.

Well in the near future I start thinking about new locations to mount the new lights. So after hunting around the truck for a spot that won't get hit. I found the rear axle. The light as guarded by the axle while you rolling forward and the are also guarded by the sway bar while backing up.

Contact me for information on ordering a Backup light kit.

Posted Image

These are awesome for back up lights... I got a switch in the cab to manually force them on. so you can see no to hitch a trailer or get your spare tire out in the dark! :shock: Everything I've had on the rear bumper I've chushed or broke. That why they where moved down to the rear axle. :D

and dont forget to add, since you have a switch that can manually turn them on, it keeps people from following to close!!! :o

• 2 months later...

I put a set on the rear spring hangers on a Chevy. One stock BU light on the switch and the other on a relay with the driving light lamps in rubber housings, put the relay behind the tail light and added a power hook up to the battery. #8 wire and a 40 A fuse.Going to do the same to mine except the light will mount to the kelderman air bag bolt and show about 3/4 under the hitch. That way it will push up out of the way behind the hitch if I push into something. Power point, one backup light, relay, trailer power and trailer backup fed from the same wire. Other backup light and relay fed from transmission switch.If you have short lamp life - vibration from the axle on the road - moving to the sway bar mount bolts with an angle bracket will lose the vibration.keydl

• Owner

I put a set on the rear spring hangers on a Chevy. One stock BU light on the switch and the other on a relay with the driving light lamps in rubber housings, put the relay behind the tail light and added a power hook up to the battery. #8 wire and a 40 A fuse.

Going to do the same to mine except the light will mount to the kelderman air bag bolt and show about 3/4 under the hitch. That way it will push up out of the way behind the hitch if I push into something. Power point, one backup light, relay, trailer power and trailer backup fed from the same wire. Other backup light and relay fed from transmission switch.

If you have short lamp life - vibration from the axle on the road - moving to the sway bar mount bolts with an angle bracket will lose the vibration.

keydl

The bulbs are 5 years old now and never blown out. I've never crush one yet... 100 watt aircraft landing lights... :smart

My manual override switch is on my overhead console...

Posted Image

But I'm hooked up to the trailer wiring. There is a 30A (or 40A can't remember??) fused power line in that harness, ground, backup lights, etc... So I took the 30A as a power to my relay. Then used the back up light a signal to trip the relay. The realy in mounted high up in the driver side tail light to try and keep it dry. It also wrapped up in a plastic bag too...

• 1 year later...

I put a White Night backup light kit on my truck and the difference was like night and day. I can actually see clearly. If you buy the adaptor kits, plug, and backup light together, it is pretty much a plug and play install. A note to be carefully aware of is to be mindful of the chains when towing with these lights or remove them. If the chains pull tight, they will trash out the light assembly. I bought mine through Sportsman's Guide when they had them on sale for $50. http://www.whitenight.com/

• Like 1