• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So a while back my truck started having a Miss while running down the road, it seems like it was worse when you would pull a load to begin with. After a while this mess began to be more of a nuisance and would show up sometimes only when you're giving it throttle and sometimes only when you're getting off the fuel. This issue has been going on for about 4 months and seemingly to get progressively worse and has gotten out to the point to where I can't drive the truck. I've cleaned the batteries make sure I have good connections at 12 volts in each battery and the truck will start fine and run for about 3 minutes and start stumbling and eventually stalling I've eliminated the gas tank out of the equation thinking maybe I was sucking in air bubbles run out of a fuel tank and same thing it would run for about 3 minutes start missing pop and I'm stumbling and eventually got to the point to where I can't bleed the air out of the system like the vp44 is not pumping Fuel and longer. Along the way I have gotten codes p0370 and p1690 from the ECU I have cleared these codes and only the p0370 manifest itself again. I'm leaning towards the fact that my injection pump is toasted but I was wondering if there is any check to see at home if this is indeed the case before I bite the bullet and spend $1,000 on a pump. Any and all help is welcome and thanked, I'm at my wits end with this truck. I should probably also mention its a 2002 Dodge 3/4 ton with a 5-speed Auto

Looks like the speed sensor inside the vp is not happy.  

There is a tone wheel in the VP44, If this was a rear diff I would suggest cleaning the sensor to make sure there is no gunk on it.  I suppose you could try that on the vp, dunno if it is possible however.  

See the images to show the tone wheel and you can see the sensor on the ribbon cable.,

Beyond that you are kind of stuck as there isn't much to fix with it. 

FYI the 47re auto is a 4 speed with lockup in 3rd and 4th which makes it feel like a 5 speed. 

Edited by Me78569