• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Grommet cover for starter motor wire, Denso

I luckily noticed starter motor solenoid wire boot/ insulation was rotted on a pretty new starter motor and the heavy wire was exposed. Could have shorted out on the nose of the solenoid. See photo in link http://www.fostertruck.com/grommet-cover-for-motor-wire-denso.html

Im supprized that heavy wire is not insulated, just the cheap rubber boot. Damn !

I zip tied a plastic wire loom cover over it, temporary fix . Till I pull the starter and do a good fix

I'm sure you other guys ran into this issue.

Has anyone done a good fix remedy for this starter issue? Piece of heavy duty shrink rap?

Has anyone installed one of these boots ?

Can you just slide it on and press it into the housing without disassembling the starter ?

Or do you have to disassemble it to get the boot pull into the hole in the housing?

rick

Edited by GSP7

2 hours ago, IBMobile said:

How about disconnecting the cable from the solenoid and sliding a piece of  ⁵/₁₆ or ⅜  vacuum hose over it.

I have it patched up like that, but my boot is disintegration and where the wire goes through the case hole it might contact the side since the grommet is disintegration. 

Just wondered if anyone has replaced the whole boot without taking the starter brush cover etc off/apart

Edited by GSP7