• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hard Start if at all, lots White smoke, has new vp44 & injectors

Buddy of mine has 1999 dodge truck, 5 speed 4x4. He replaced the vp44 & installed new injectors, the vp44 had failed, had that 16xx code, can't recall the exact code. The truck is hard starting, if it starts at all, if it does it idle's smooth but blows thick amounts of white smoke (i'm assuming lots of unburned diesel fuel) and the pedal is dead. White smoke does not go away.Several things I thought of vp44 installed wrong (timing key), injectors and/or connectors torqued wrong, over flow valve ???? I'm grasping at straws here, any suggestions appreciated.Thanks in advance.

• Owner

Really good idea... White smoke is a good sign of retarded timing.... Did you install the right key? did you install it in the right direction? Did the key fall out during the install? As for the injectors... The only thing I can think off is a failed injector(s) that cause white smoke but since there new I'm going to fall back to the VP44 key...

Are the injectors brand new ones, used ones from someone else, or did you/someone put new nozzles on the old bodies? If not brand new have they been pop tested?

They are brand new, I believe from BD Diesel 75 hp rated (not sure what the 75 hp means).

They are brand new, I believe from BD Diesel 75 hp rated (not sure what the 75 hp means).

Means they are rated to produce 75 hp additional to the engine, so if the engine was rated at 215 hp with these injectors it is rated at 290. Theoretically - actual hp gain depends on a number of other factors as well.

You also said dead pedal.Did the injection pump connection click when installed?Did you unhook the cam sensor with the pump install?Did you check to see if the apps is hooked up?A 99 have a crank sensor what about that?