• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Abnormal Braking

01/5pd/4x

Put the pedal down to stop the other day, got rewarded with no decel, some jingling and a stiff pedal, was able to feather it a bit until the pedal depressed and stopped me. Took my wheels off and looked to find a missing pad clip, pad was loose figured it to be my issue so I did pads and rotors since I was in there anyway. 3 days of normal braking no issue, today it rained a bit, I had about 40 mins of driving in everything pointed to normalcy until...same issue along with a butt puckeringly close call on the poor Accord in front of me. ABS/Brake lights flashed on and off a few times, I limped home. As I was backing into my driveway I noticed my wheel was tough at close to full lock. Could the equation of symptoms equal bad hydroboost? I never have steering issues, my truck cooked a Redhead steering box in about 12K but I got a replacement from them and it's been about a year issue free so I went with the idea of a bad casting...

• Owner
26 minutes ago, Arodrigues29 said:

I had about 40 mins of driving in everything pointed to normalcy until...same issue along with a butt puckeringly close call on the poor Accord in front of me. ABS/Brake lights flashed on and off a few times, I limped home

That is a ABS issue. I've had the same thing go wrong. I've rebuilt the ABS module and now I've still got the ABS lights on. It's something to do with the front speed sensors it will prevent the brakes from being applied. The ABS module will actually back pump you so the pedal can't be applied. It's not a hydrobooster problem that I know of.

A bad wheel bearing can make for some strange braking but it is usually just a pull. If it's an ABS issue I would pull the fuse and drive it for a few days leaving ample room between you and any Hondas to see if that cures it. You'll probably lose your speedometer but I'd rather lose that than the brakes. 

• Owner
5 minutes ago, Buzzinhalfdozen said:

A bad wheel bearing can make for some strange braking but it is usually just a pull. If it's an ABS issue I would pull the fuse and drive it for a few days leaving ample room between you and any Hondas to see if that cures it. You'll probably lose your speedometer but I'd rather lose that than the brakes. 

Another way is to pull the small plug and trip the ABS light. Once that occurs the ABS module is disabled till the key is cycled then it starts over error checking and seeing if its a passing grade or not. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled my abs relay and drove it for 2 days before getting around to putting in my wheel bearing/abs sensor. All the sketchyness disappeared with the relay out and now that everything is buttoned up braking seems back to normal. I won't lie, I still have some internal butterflies in traffic after that incident however