• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brace Box

• Owner

Basically all I do is loosen the lock nut. Then run the sector adjustment all the way in till seated. Make sure you not seated on the lock nut make sure it loose enough. Then back off about 1.5 turns then hold the adjustment while you tighten the lock nut. That's all there is to the adjustment. There is input bearing pre-load adjustment too but rarely have I've seen anyone needing to adjust that. 

If you have a lot of steering wheel play and the suspension and steering items are in ok shape don't forget the steering column bushing. In having someone move my steering both with truck running and without and me looking I found the following on mine causing issues listed worst to least:

• tie rod ends
  • column bushing (have the clunk also)
  • intermediate shaft
  • steering box

If you move the steering wheel a lot and that movement doesn't seem to make it to the intermediate shaft then the column bushing is your honeysuckle.... mine was horrible and it's a well known issue with a fairly easy fix. Got my new bushing this weekend and hope to get it in next week. 

Edited by jlongjohn

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

@jlongjohn if you wouldn't mind making an article of the bushing install?

Absolutely, I have actually started taking pictures and some video of all my adventures. I would be happy to write up an article. Used to do it all the time for my other passion, atv's...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks MUCH Gentlemen!!

Guess I'll give it a go on the adjustment part...

There is no clunk in the steering wheel/shaft that I can detect...I did have the intermediate shaft replace about 2 years ago.The Local mechanic (here in Goldendale, Wa) wanted at least 2 hours @ $85 per hour to see if He could adjust the steering box and to install 3 tranny linkage grommets..That seemed a bit steep to Me!

There is a Les Schwab and a Good Year Dealer here as well, as well as another couple Garages here...Goldendale is not a very big town as You might have guessed by now!!

Pardon if My ignorance is showing, But is there a post/section that would have pics showing how/where to adjust the Play  as described above?

Thanks very much Guys!

Ed

PS: Just want to say a Big Thanks to everybody here...My hind wheels are draggin quite a bit while recovering from a 3rd spinal fusion...needless to say it is going to be quite a while according to the Neurosurgeonuntil I can get back into the harness doing Radiologic Technology.

While I was in the hospital recovering from an earlier fusion, My Wife's neck was injured in an MVA, so She Her career as an Egistered Dental Assistant was ended.

• Owner
8 minutes ago, DocH said:

Pardon if My ignorance is showing, But is there a post/section that would have pics showing how/where to adjust the Play  as described above?

Sector adjustment is on the top side of the output shaft. Typically its a Allen bolt in the top with a jam nut holding the adjustment. I typically run it to the bottom and then back off about 1.5 turns and lock it down. Make sure your nut is loose enough that you not seating on the nut giving a false bottom.

Image result for saginaw sector adjustment

This is the bearing preload adjustment. 

Image result for saginaw sector adjustment

As you can see there is plenty to adjust on these steering boxes and don't require replacement all the time. If the box is old and lots of miles I suggest talking to Ryan @ Blue Top Steering and getting a seal kit to rebuild your steering box then you can adjust it up tight once again. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2