• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2002 Cummins start on stand?

Hello I'm new to site and did not search through the posts but found this site via YouTube from a Video called "24V VP44 Cummins Stand-alone rewire" 

I saved a couple Cummins Engines from 2 Bread Trucks my Buddy was scrapping and might have to make em run to sell them. If I was a little younger I might do something with these

because I like Black Smoke! :)

First engine I'm going to putz with to see how it runs is a 2002 ISB with 54 block. It has IP and Turbo and was told it runs from the mechanics who worked where this truck came from but still want to see blow by..etc It's missing stuff so don't to get into buying too much stuff. It's missing the lines going from the IP to the heads and kinda looked on eBay but they are pricey.

So I guess my question is do I have to have a ECU to start this thing stand alone? The video I watch from Troy L was super fast and said hook up 3 wires....blah blah blah and was scratching my head...lol 

Thanks in Advance! Roy in Wisconsin!

021.JPG

027.JPG

Edited by pbcomp

I'm looking at some IP lines on FeeBay ...ATM. I think it will run! One of the guys stopped and said they had 5K in this engine and was not suppose to go with the vans that came in on the deal, but see no evidence of that engine being worked on besides the turbo looking OK and IP maybe being replaced....:)

Edited by pbcomp

I would have to invest in a compression tester and that would tell the story I guess...I read through the stuff on the Blue Chip Diesel site and that looks easy enough but I know once I get it to started I'm going to get crazy and start ordering a harness and computer and APPS/TPS setup. These trucks have the APPS/TPS built in to the accelerator pedal so will have to buy a TPS assembly for a Dodge Truck...etc and start converting it over. It's a 54 Block so I have hopes...:) Thanks guys for the input.

The other engine is a 04 Common Rail with a score/chunk in the 2nd cylinder downstream. That one is complete as far as I can tell minus a few bolts maybe that rolled around when it got towed. It had it's head off already but was layed out like they were going to fix it but stopped. It's pulled out and on a pallet and all the pieces for it are all boxed up and labled. I might attempt a "Farmer Rebuild" on it and see how it goes. I do not think the engine will care if their is a .20 in that hole but who knows. Taking this stuff to get machined is expensive

Edited by pbcomp

15 hours ago, pbcomp said:

I would have to invest in a compression tester and that would tell the story I guess...I read through the stuff on the Blue Chip Diesel site and that looks easy enough but I know once I get it to started I'm going to get crazy and start ordering a harness and computer and APPS/TPS setup. These trucks have the APPS/TPS built in to the accelerator pedal so will have to buy a TPS assembly for a Dodge Truck...etc and start converting it over. It's a 54 Block so I have hopes...:) Thanks guys for the input.

I'm not sure about this application, but the Dodge ECM is NOT cheap.

Also the APPS is not built into the petal. It sits up on the front driver side of the head. That didn't change until 04.5 during the CR era.