• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Carli suspension Starter Kit

Hey all, I have a 2001 that already has 2.5" leveling kit from previous owner, and I installed a 'Dodge Off Road adjustable track bar. My suspension is currently shot and I'm looking at upgrading it with the Carli starter kit. The kit recommends an adjustable track bar which I already have, extended sway bar end links which are affordable at $200, and extended control arms which are not affordable / way over priced for what they are IMO at $700. From what I understand the track bar moves the axle back to the passenger side where it should be, however I don't think I did that properly upon install. I just put it on tightened it and took it to firestone for an alignment, idk if they mess with that at all. Secondly from what I understand the sway bar end links are a necessary purchase to install the starter kit? Lastly the extended control arms would push the axle forward to where it should be but are not necessary? 

So with all that being said are there any control arms that are quality that would serve the same purpose but are less expensive? Also what would be the advantages / disadvantages of purchasing control arms to move the axle forward. Another question I have is when I take my truck to firestone for an alignment does that include centering up the axle to the best of their abilities and adjusting track bar and sway bar end links or is that something completely different that I have to do on the track bar and adjust the end links.

Pardon my ignorance I'm not a mechanic and idk much about this stuff obviously. I'm just looking for the best advice / option on the cheapest budget and that does not include taking my truck to a mechanic thats gunna bend me over and do a half job so I choose to try and learn myself and Install things within my capabilities. All your advice and replies will be appreciated, thank you.

An alignment should center the axle because the truck wouldn't go straight down the road.  End links yes they are required and for street highway driving a safety issue.

Now the control arms you could maybe get by without but remember you have a triangulated suspension so adding height pulls the axle back thus uncentering the axle front to back causeing rubbing and a harsh ride not to mention spring will likely be canted on its perches again not safe.  Any other questions fire away

• Like 1

My personal opinion take leveling kit off nothing but a headache in long run. Alignment do it yourself very easy on these trucks. Center your axle with track bar, tow in with tape measure about 1/32nds to 16th just as long as it's a slight toe in. Then center your steering wheel. 

On the other note spend money on a welder and make your own control arms, if you trust your welding. I've done a lot of redneck fabbing and never had a problem but I'm anal about what I do. My track bar on the truck now is home made and adjustable. Cost maybe 50 bucks. 

Cheaper good quality control arms you can get from metal cloak. Never used them myself but heard nothing but good things.

As far as the track bar centering, I doubt furestone does it. Think of how many vehicles come with an adjustable track bar. I'm running the DOR tb as well and I just had someone push on the truck left to right while I spun the bar by hand and I did that until the end links were pretty much straight up and down, no measuring. When I did take it to get an alignment after installing 4th gen steering, I took it too an off road shop in town who I knew would check the tb and they said it was within an 1/8th which is as close as they would've done it so it's been that way ever since.

• Like 1