• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Sometimes a loaner isn't always a treat!

dobienut

So, don't get me wrong..i'm very grateful I am able to borrow a vehicle from my father while my truck is in the body shop, but what an agravation! 95 Subaru Legacy and I heard the brakes grinding so i figured i'd pick a set up on the way home from town and replace them.They asked at the parts shop if it's dual or single piston calipers ( I didn't know) so i said give me pads for both and i'll bring the wrong ones back. Got home, tore the front wheels off and took the old pads, opened a new box and wrong ones, so i got the other box and low and behold, some idiot was nice enough to buy pads and use them for a while, take them off and put them back in the box and return them, and those would of course be the ones I need. So I called the parts place, they sent me new ones up right away. Noticed my caliper was sticking a bit but I could get it to return so I put it all back together, started it and pulled ahead and the brake was locked on. Took the brakes apart and after hummin and hawin I poped the piston out and cleaned the seals and piston up and put it back together and still locked up when I tried moving it. I took the caliper apart three times (no parts places had one) because I figured i just wasn't getting it cleaned up enough. After the third time, I cracked open the brake line and it released, so i thought there, brake line must be collapesd. Ordered a brake line and put it on, still the same ($45 later) so looked back to the caliper. Called a junk yard and he had a good one for $10 so i drove 20 minutes to get it. I ended up havng to swap out the bracket because his car was newer, had to drive back up again for brake pads from him because we both never thought the pads off mine would be different then needed for the new bracket:banghead:. Came home from my second trip, put it all back together , started it and move ahead...YUP....still seized! :mad: So, I want to back up a bit and state that before i started all this I was wondering if it could be the hill hold feature this car has, but classic signs of caliper made me ignore that thought. In the end, it was the dam hill hold feature screwing up and holding the brake on, I unhooked the cable for it a bam...moves with ease. So about $70 later, I could've unhooked a cable and had it fixed, but I decided I guessI had nothing else to do for 4-5 hours in total so I'd messed with this thing. :cry:There's $70 I could've put in my truck too! :cookoo:

But look how much knowledge you gained!! :smart:Kinda like me taking the whole engine out to heli-coil fuel plate cover and change the oil pan gasket :lmao:But throughout all of your post, I am seeing something that could help you. Never assume things! Seems every time I do, it is always the thing I assumed was fine. Same with parts, look in the box at the store, that old part thing from someone else is so common it's almost ridiculous. At least it's all back together and working now. It's nice having something like that to do, though it can be frustrating, still better than sitting around all day :ahhh:

95 Subaru Legacy and I heard the brakes grinding so i figured i'd pick a set up on the way home from town and replace them.They asked at the parts shop if it's dual or single piston calipers ( I didn't know) so i said give me pads for both and i'll bring the wrong ones back. Got home, tore the front wheels off and took the old pads, opened a new box and wrong ones, so i got the other box and low and behold, some idiot was nice enough to buy pads and use them for a while, take them off and put them back in the box and return them, and those would of course be the ones I need. So I called the parts place, they sent me new ones up right away. Noticed my caliper was sticking a bit but I could get it to return so I put it all back together, started it and pulled ahead and the brake was locked on. Took the brakes apart and after hummin and hawin I poped the piston out and cleaned the seals and piston up and put it back together and still locked up when I tried moving it. I took the caliper apart three times (no parts places had one) because I figured i just wasn't getting it cleaned up enough. After the third time, I cracked open the brake line and it released, so i thought there, brake line must be collapesd. Ordered a brake line and put it on, still the same ($45 later) so looked back to the caliper. Called a junk yard and he had a good one for $10 so i drove 20 minutes to get it. I ended up havng to swap out the bracket because his car was newer, had to drive back up again for brake pads from him because we both never thought the pads off mine would be different then needed for the new bracket:banghead:. Came home from my second trip, put it all back together , started it and move ahead...YUP....still seized! :mad:

no good deed goes unpunished

So, I want to back up a bit and state that before i started all this I was wondering if it could be the hill hold feature this car hasIn the end, it was the dam hill hold feature screwing up and holding the brake on, I unhooked the cable for it a bam...moves with ease.

what is a "hill hold" like an e-brake?

• Owner

Interesting... about the HHC I never knew that someone made it.

I am seeing something that could help you. Never assume things!

Yeah I'm finding out when thing go wrong its best ot find a Factory Service Manual for the vehicle... How about one of these... http://pdftown.com/Pdf-eBook/Subaru.html Good reference site... :smart: