• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

trailer weight's.

so i weighed the trailer i tow for camping, it's was 90% loaded. and well under what i had thought it would be at, but still i'm not sure how one gets the GCVW rating? i see several number in the door sticker on my truck. what/how do i calculate to see what i can tow....

now this was minus 1/2 the food, and no firewood. so i'd guesstimate another 800 lb or so. and only one tank of propane not the 2 we usually have.  so i still think i'm about 800-1000 lb under what would be a normal load going camping or hunting for a week.

cat-scales.jpg

Your combined weight is not on the door. That just gives you axle weights and total weight with the truck and payload only. The owners manual will give what you are looking for. My 02 list the combined weight rating at 20k pounds with a manual tranny. The auto is only listed for 16k pounds. You cannot get the combined weight rating off of the door and I am not sure what truck you are asking about. The newer years have different weight ratings.Based on my 02 you are 100 pounds over weight. I haul my trailer at 3000 pounds over weight for an example. 23k combined.

The GCWR  has gone up over the years. The new ones are rated around 30k if I am not mistaken. I think ours a rated as much for weight you can safely stop also. It is not just a matter of what the individual components are capable of carrying.

On 11/26/2017 at 10:21 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

I know the 2nd Gen are rated for 20,000 for the 3/4 ton and 21,000 for the 1 ton. These numbers are typically listed in the owners manual of the truck. I'll dig out my manual and get photos.

My money is on 20k for both unless the 3500 has 4:10 gears. I am thinking 22k on that. Manual tranny that is.

Edited by dripley

• Owner

Here you go right from the Dodge owners manual...

DSCF4369.JPG

DSCF4370.JPG

Funny part is the transmission final gear is the factor that raises or lower the Max GCWR

Both 2500 and 3500 are rated for 16,000 to 21,500 pound GCWR depending on final gear and transmission. 

3500 typically have a GVWR of 11,000 pounds. Then 2500 have GVWR rating of 8,800 pounds. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man