• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Have you checked your local parts jobbers to borrow/rent a tool rather than buy something you will probably never use again.

Please tell me which tool to ask for? I am an aircraft mechanic and have a pretty full tool box already. I have to say that I have never seen a setup like this and am very open to options. Did talk with the O'Rielly auto parts place where I bought the new fan clutch and they said that they have never seen a setup like that either. This is another abortion from Dodge (like the wonderful flapper doors that fail on the A/C and heating system every few months) that makes things so difficult. If it were not for the Cummins engine there are times that I wonder about this truck. Lastly, I do not mind spending a few $$ for tools. Its cheaper than paying a shop to have the clutch changed out and frankly I could loan the tools out to people in this area to use. Say a six pack per useage? Would be well worth it and we both would be happy. Now if I could just get some feedback from the gent who makes the tool...

1 & 7/16"wrench fits it a bit loose but will get it also if you don't have a 36mm wrench and just hold the pully nose with a large channel lock pliers like a model 460, that is all I have ever used and it works great. They haven't seen much then as it is a quite common set up for fan clutches, It is a fan hub/clutch nut wrench, there are many pickups of all makes that run a nearly identical setup to mount the fan clutch. Not a just Dodge thing. Gm cars are even more prone and way worse for having thing go haywire in the hvac system so be thankful its not controlled by a 300-600 dollar module which also fails on regular basis on them also.

Still no reply from JL, so he may be out of town or on vacation.Does anyone have a photo of what the wrench looks like that holds the pulley? I have the 36mm wrench for the fan clutch nut already, just cannot get it to hold still with the pulley. Have tried to use a pry-bar to hold the thing and no luck so far... Joe

Still no reply from JL, so he may be out of town or on vacation. Does anyone have a photo of what the wrench looks like that holds the pulley? I have the 36mm wrench for the fan clutch nut already, just cannot get it to hold still with the pulley. Have tried to use a pry-bar to hold the thing and no luck so far... Joe

Have you tried to hold the nose of the pulley with a large channel lock pliers? I use a model 460 channel lock brand and it works for me.

Have you tried to hold the nose of the pulley with a large channel lock pliers? I use a model 460 channel lock brand and it works for me.

Am doing all of this alone, so no have not tried using pliers on the pulley and wrench on the nut. Am handy but not that good! Where do you grab, just on the rounded part of the pulley? Thought about this but was somewhat concerned about bending or warping it.

Am doing all of this alone, so no have not tried using pliers on the pulley and wrench on the nut. Am handy but not that good! Where do you grab, just on the rounded part of the pulley? Thought about this but was somewhat concerned about bending or warping it.

Yep just grab the front of the pully, there is just enough flat area to grab tight. The pulley is plenty stiff enough to not worry about warping it. you will leave teeth marks but you will not bend it.

Will see what I can do over the weekend and get back to you. Its finally supposed to be around 100 (has been 112 or above recently) and working outside just is not going to happen with me in that heat!

I hear ya there, its been in the upper 90's with 75% humidity this week up here.

Well, finally got it switched out.Returned to my parts place and talked with the more experienced guy and he said "sure we have a tool set for that!" No one else there knew they had it. 20 minutes later it was replaced!post-52-138698166126_thumb.jpgFor the next people doing this, above is a pic of the two wrenches you need!Joe A

• Like 1