• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bilstein 5100 Shocks

I ordered these a couple days ago, and got them yesterday.  I went with the 5100's because I have airbags in the rear, and am slightly higher than stock empty, and the rear 5100's are made for up to 1" of lift.  I also want to raise the front a bit with the "ride height adjustability" that the 5100's offer.  I believe this is a much better option than the traditional and easy way of lifting/leveling using a spacer or puck.  I plan on the 1.25"lift in the front.

I got the rears installed an hour after they arrived;  took only 20 minutes to do both sides.  The fronts are a lot more involved;  as they are a "coil over" set up and a spring compressor is required to swap out the shocks.  Don't know if'n I should just pull the coil overs out and take them to a shop to swap out the shocks................or rent a spring compressor and do it myself.  Them manual spring compressors look sketchy at best.

Anyhow;  with just the rears swapped out, the ride in the back end has been transformed.  No more bouncing like on a pogo stick!!!  It my be a little more firm;  but much more planted to the road if that makes any sense.

Cannot wait to get the front end done.

• Owner

Bilstein shocks are bit pricey but I believe they are worth the price. For what I know of the Chevy front suspension they are very involved with the CV axles up front. Spring compressors can be very dangerous if not used properly. A friend of mine use to tie wire the as well so they didn't explode if the compressor slipped. I would use a ratchet straps to insure your safety. That being said I'm not sure how leveling kits impact suspension geometry on these trucks so you might ask around before making a mistake that might increase suspension wear.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Bilstein shocks are bit pricey but I believe they are worth the price. For what I know of the Chevy front suspension they are very involved with the CV axles up front. Spring compressors can be very dangerous if not used properly. A friend of mine use to tie wire the as well so they didn't explode if the compressor slipped. I would use a ratchet straps to insure your safety. That being said I'm not sure how leveling kits impact suspension geometry on these trucks so you might ask around before making a mistake that might increase suspension wear.

Been doing the reading about the front lifts/levels Mike.  Most say 2.5"+ is the danger zone for stressing components.  I'm just going 1.25".............which is the average for what Bilstein says for where I'm positioning the bottom spring perch snap ring.  Could be more, could be less.........................

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

At least you've done your homework. I would say give it a shot. Be careful.

I'm always careful my friend!!  Sometimes stupid;  but I do a lot of research on stuff I've not done before.............so I know what to expect.  :thumb1:

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

UPDATE:

I got the Bilstein 5100's installed on the front end of my truck on April 27;  so I've had time to evaluated them, long term.

There is a local shop about 1.5 miles away that said they'd swap the shocks out in the coil-overs/struts no problem.  So on April 27, I pulled out the struts on the '16 Silverado, dropped them into a large backpack, slung it on my back, and rode my bicycle to the shop.  Took about 25 minutes to complete both.  Charged my $55.00 and I rode my bicycle home.

2 hours laters I had the 5100's installed.  I have them set at 1.25" of lift in the front.

Well 3 months later the verdict is that these shocks are the "REAL DEAL"!!!  Even set with the slight 1.25" lift;  these shock, at that setting ride better than the stock ones did at OEM height.  IMHO;  the stock ones had no dampening on "extension".

Very pleased with the decision to do this mod.

Edited by dorkweed