• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Have you had an alignment shop set the caster up yet? That will cause them to wander horribly it needs to be set to a minimum of 3.5 degrees and if possible as high as 4.5-5 degrees. You can take and adjust the cam adjusters yourself on the front of the lower control arm you will generally be in the 3.5 degree range when they are at the max rotation. try it its easy if they cam bolt isn't frozen. To get it higher you need the offset upper ball joint bushings. I am pretty sure this is your problem. http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/00_steer_specs.html

I agree 100 %. Im near 4* and with no steering stabilzers or sway bar I can let go of the wheel for scary long periods of time on 35's. It drives better than my non beaten 2wd.

• 2 weeks later...

i have probably put 1500 miles on the truck since i change the gearbox(oe replacement from oreilly's), pitman arm, and added the steering brace. after i changed the parts, ACME Wheel aligned the front for $35. truck tracks straight down the road, but the new box is soooo touchy. there is not a "dead zone" in the middle. i can actually feel it break one way, straighten it out and it breaks the other way. i feel like i am ether left or right(even if it is very slight). i wish i had the extra $330 to spring for the borg box, but i'm hoping my cardone replacement last another 180k with the pitman shaft support.it did take my 700 miles to get use to how tight the steering is!:thumb1:

Fantastic!!! That is a great upgrade the fast ratio is great the the new box has made the steering much easier and smoother. I did a shaft with it so no more clunk either. I honestly wish i would have started here before i did my ball joints to see because this has finally taken that slack feeling i had at the 12 o clock position and that same area was a "dead spot" where little or no reaction to steering input was which caused the steering to be unpredictable. Some said they did not notice the issue and I did not really until after driving it for a while. Anyway the Borgeson box and Shaft was a great thing for me and my truck.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the Borgesson is now the one to go with as the others GM issued 3.3 turns are just about impossible to get anymore.

For the record, I have all of the sugested repairs - Moog ball joints & tie rods, Thuren 3rd gen track bar, steering brace, rocksolid bushing, had AGR boxes (4 failed) and I now have a Cardone box that a shop gave me lifetime warranty parts & labor. I liked the valving of AGR in that it turned smooth (well, all except the 1st). Problem with AGR is poor quality control. The 1st box wasn't smooth, the 2nd & 3rd dropped the lock ring & seal causing sudden loss of brakes and power steering. Glad I was going slow. I got stuck with 2 $100 tow bills and was having shop do installs so paid labor also. Final AGR box wound never return to center. I blamed it on alignment. Box is on the shop floor waiting on when I need a core. Cardone box doesn't steer precisely. I'm going to replace it under warranty & see if the next is better. If not, I'll try RedheadSteering. I talked to the guy & he says they fit over sized ballbearings to take out the slop. They measure for each bearing. He also makes a 3 1/2 turn box & says that the heavy steering feeling is because of the valving used. Truck drives straight, just not precise. Imprecision is in the box. I used to have a wander. Then I read to drop the tire pressure & now run 65# all around (2500, not 3500). FWIW, tires are Yokohama Geolander ATs. Until I dropped pressure, I was trying to fix wander by adding caster. I now believe that ~ 3* is enough. I bought a lifetime alignment for $130 & put the truck on the rack everytime I get a tire balance. Firestone mechanics aren't the best but I can get a print out & machine use is free. On the other hand, I'm geting tired of fixing this thing & may sell it. Damn, most things are done. Oh well, I'll think again tomorrow.