• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High Idle Switch

Just got my high idle switch, super excited!!

Couple questions due to other mods on the truck. Truck has 7x.011 SAC's and edge comp box.

3cyl High idle, is there any reason I should not use it every time I warm up my truck?

MPG setting on the switch, is there any reason I shouldn't use it with my comp box and injectors that are around 100% over?

On mine I use 3cyl for any warmup unless its 50 degrees already. Bought mine because all I ever hit here in Boise was cold enough for 6cyl high idle, i want to warm up fast. Although I had always heard that putting a load like that on a cold engine is not good... Cummins built these modes in for exactly that, extremely cold weather. I'd think Cummins would know what they are doing. Your comp box shouldn't hurt it, my JWA doesn't. you could always return it to stock when using the feature... then turn it up as you drive. I'm not sure the COMP has the same back-down features the JWA has, mine wont let me hot-rod until the truck has warmed up fully.

I have the same question regarding the MPG though, is it safe to be changing the fuel / timing to think its 143F out when its really only 20? Does it add or remove fuel?

11 minutes ago, wh82 said:

On mine I use 3cyl for any warmup unless its 50 degrees already. Bought mine because all I ever hit here in Boise was cold enough for 6cyl high idle, i want to warm up fast. Although I had always heard that putting a load like that on a cold engine is not good... Cummins built these modes in for exactly that, extremely cold weather. I'd think Cummins would know what they are doing. Your comp box shouldn't hurt it, my JWA doesn't. you could always return it to stock when using the feature... then turn it up as you drive. I'm not sure the COMP has the same back-down features the JWA has, mine wont let me hot-rod until the truck has warmed up fully.

I have the same question regarding the MPG though, is it safe to be changing the fuel / timing to think its 143F out when its really only 20? Does it add or remove fuel?

Yes my comp box has the same feature and some times doesn’t get along with the truck some times I’ll be driving under decent throttle and it’ll decide it wants to throw som timing and fuel and it and she makes a racket until I back off the throttle haha. Poor truck. Yah I figured I’d ask about the 3 cyl I know it’s there for a reason hey wouldn’t put it in there if it’s in safe. And yes the mpg mode is still questionable with extra timing. You would think it’d be fine but would be nice to know with some one who’s already had experience with it.

It is perfectly safe to run MPG mode when it is cold.  I suggest you wait until the truck is warmed up before going into MPG mode. MPG mode does NOT do anything to fueling. 

MPG mode actually REDUCES timing that that the ECM adds when IAT and ECT are cold.  

The edge will just add timing on top of what the ecm wants.  No neg effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

It is perfectly safe to run MPG mode when it is cold.  I suggest you wait until the truck is warmed up before going into MPG mode. MPG mode does NOT do anything to fueling. 

MPG mode actually REDUCES timing that that the ECM adds when IAT and ECT are cold.  

The edge will just add timing on top of what the ecm wants.  No neg effect.

Ok that’s great info to know thanks ??

• Owner
15 hours ago, AkCoastline said:

3cyl High idle, is there any reason I should not use it every time I warm up my truck?

Other than it waste a lot of fuel. 3 CYL can flow upwards of 5-8 GPH. About the same amount of fuel as driving up a 7% grade but your not moving. 

15 hours ago, wh82 said:

I'm not sure the COMP has the same back-down features the JWA has

No Edge Comp does not have a cold engine feature. Edge Juice does have a cold engine feature. That one of the few thing I didn't like about the Edge Comp it cranked up timing even harder in the dead cold and on a cold engine. Really harsh on the engine. 

45 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Other than it waste a lot of fuel. 3 CYL can flow upwards of 5-8 GPH. About the same amount of fuel as driving up a 7% grade but your not moving. 

No Edge Comp does not have a cold engine feature. Edge Juice does have a cold engine feature. That one of the few thing I didn't like about the Edge Comp it cranked up timing even harder in the dead cold and on a cold engine. Really harsh on the engine. 

Ok the weird timing jumps I’ve noticed must be the factory has the timing retarded since it’s cold and the edge is still trying to advance it. I’ve change my warm up schedule so it’s not an issue anymore.

Do you think running 3cyl high idle for say 5 minutes is going to burn more fuel then 6cyl high idle for 10?

3cyl for 5 minutes yesterday had heat in my cab and that’s far warmer then 15 mins of regular idle I’ve been doing before your switch.

• Owner
11 minutes ago, AkCoastline said:

I’ve noticed must be the factory has the timing retarded since it’s cold and the edge is still trying to advance it.

No actually the ECM it cranked up to 19-21* BTDC then the Edge Comp is adding more timing top. It gets rather high timing the lower the IAT gets. Quadzilla is an awesome tool for watching the ECM output of timing numbers. So I can turn off the Quadzilla and still watch the ECM timing value. 

11 minutes ago, AkCoastline said:

Do you think running 3cyl high idle for say 5 minutes is going to burn more fuel then 6cyl high idle for 10?

As for that question YES both way. 

Because the 6 cylinder is going to be lower but you doubled the time. 3 cylinder puts more load on the engine and burns more fuel but you halved the time. 

I just went out and started my truck cold and I was seeing 20.76* worth of timing at 45*F IAT. Now figure the Edge Comp is stacking another 2-3 degrees on top of that. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No actually the ECM it cranked up to 19-21* BTDC then the Edge Comp is adding more timing top. It gets rather high timing the lower the IAT gets. Quadzilla is an awesome tool for watching the ECM output of timing numbers. So I can turn off the Quadzilla and still watch the ECM timing value. 

As for that question YES both way. 

Because the 6 cylinder is going to be lower but you doubled the time. 3 cylinder puts more load on the engine and burns more fuel but you halved the time. 

I just went out and started my truck cold and I was seeing 20.76* worth of timing at 45*F IAT. Now figure the Edge Comp is stacking another 2-3 degrees on top of that. 

Yah the edge really is killing me, I mean it works great for me no complaints at all very good box the defuel preboost is awesome for my injectors BUT I’d love to write my own tunes, I did for my old turbo Miata and it’s fun and you get get it running perfectly how you want. One day I’d like to go to a quad to get that tunability but I don’t have the kind of cash right now...

Edited by AkCoastline