• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

A/C out again

I had the condenser replaced a couple of years ago. It's been stuck on defrost for a while... but that's a separate problem. I can't afford to pay someone to do the work... over & over. What a piece of Cr*p! Temps in high 80s today... I got a little cool when it wasn't working hard, dies out when I need it. (Same as before).

• Owner

As for the vent controls sound like a vacuum leak. As for the A/C you need to fire up the truck and check and see if the compressor is coming on and cycling on/off constantly... This is a sign of low pressure. If its me I would get a dye pack nad add that to the system and them recharge. Then using a black light check for leaks. I know you limited on movement but is a solution to chasing down the problem. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1036 To bad you on the other side of the island I would be more that happy to grab my gauges and charge it back up... :thumbup2:http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1057

man that sucks - I feel your painJust had teh a/c fixed with new high pressure lines and charge to the tune of $450.Then 2 weeks later - no cold air.Now they are doing the a/c evaporator and heater core to the tune of $900.Certainly hope it holds pressure after that.Don't know what else you could do except charge it back up with a dye pack and find the leak ....... would suck if it was the evaporator againLike Michael said - you can bump the clutch to make sure the clutch does work also - at least if it was that - you can get them for around $200 (I think).

The UV dye, we use that on ACR systems, it is just another way to locate leaks, only problem is it is limited to your sight. My old favorite was the Halide torch, that thing never lied. Right now we are using Big Blue bubble soap, electronic leak detectors, ultrasonic leak detectors, and the dye and UV light, and some times you still can not find them.

I've found someone to charge the system... see how long it takes to leak down. The speed control on the fan in the Cirus bit the dust yesterday.

You must mean the resistor? Does it only run on high? Good luck with you shot of freon, hope it gets you through the summer.

• Owner

The UV dye, we use that on ACR systems, it is just another way to locate leaks, only problem is it is limited to your sight. My old favorite was the Halide torch, that thing never lied. Right now we are using Big Blue bubble soap, electronic leak detectors, ultrasonic leak detectors, and the dye and UV light, and some times you still can not find them.

Oh yeah I forgot about the old torch where the flame color told you the leak... (If I remember right) Yeah your right about the dye. Since my leak was in the evaporator it didn't show up at all... The funny part was I dump the drier can out and let the oil drip out a clean bucket and in about 15-30 minutes the dye color disappears. So if it was a slow leak and hidden you might not find it...

Yes, the CTD... the first time the dye showed up in the drain tube from the heater box. I'm told they are often plugged.Yes, the Cirus has high fan but nothing else. I smelled a hot smell just as I was pulling into the WM parling lot. Guages ok, puzzled but too vague to be certain. Bought my TCW3 oil, got in the car... fan didn't start up. It was a while before I found the high speed fan would run.Just for laughs, where's the resistor located? Anybody know?Russ

Thanks guys, I'll go check the glove box area. The blower is right above the passenger's kick space, so seems logical it would be near there. Maybe I could even follow the wire backward! Now there's a thought! I probably should pull the blower & clean the mouse nest out too. A nephew is in the home HVAC business... He's willing to recharge the truck... suggested getting a "recharge kit with hose & extra bottle". What do I ask for at the autoparts so I don't appear too stupid?Russ

I picked up the recharge kit for the AC... not too bad at all. I'll call the nephew. I picked up the fan speed resistor at the same time for the Cirrus. The AutoParts listing describes it as "under the hood". I smelled hot Inside the Car! With part in hand, I know what I'm looking for now. Wife's Subaru back out of the shop. It ate the inner drive shaft boots... threw grease on the cat. What fun. 2 new axles, change fluid in diffs... only $1200. OUCH!!Daughter had her VW in the shop for a water pump & timing belt. Had it back for a day. Quit beside the road. Walked the baby to daycare & then to work. Bummer!! Wife is doing GrandMa duty tonight. Russ