• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Chipped Pinion

Lost my Speedometer the other day and started troubleshooting. Only to find the abs ring is toast and the pinion gear had chipped and caused all the damage. 

The rearend was rebuilt 3years ago and has 36k on it.

Any my idea what would cause this to happen? Poor install? Poor Material? I only haul 7k for 6 to 8,000 miles a year.  

Edited by 903Dodge

Maybe both, usually it will try to take ring out 3 teeth one full and one on each side partial, from biting traction or some serious jerking. 

What brand did you use, did you do break in procedure and oil change soon after. I've done gears before and it takes some time especially if you don't do it every day. Maybe something came lose didn't get lock tited good enough. Need to inspect it closely. 

Just an update.

Half the pinion was missing teeth. Amazing it hasn't laid over on me sooner. I will post some pictures later.

Turns out the supposed rebuilt rear end may not have been rebuilt. It looks like Bronco Salvage in Houston just put some paint on it and called it rebuilt.

Had original Dana ring and pinion stamped build date of 2000.

Not sure though if the original bearing where timkens though.