• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Website building for a small business

GSP7

• Owner

As for SEO tricks. Just because you are small website doesn't mean you can't beat a bigger website. CumminsForum is a much larger website, more traffic that M73M, more content, more members, more of everything. But I flat stomped then for several different queries. I know of several tricks that allows me to take lead on the SEO realm. All the major websites are below me. Currently, I take number one placement on 41 different queries. I'm on the first page for at least 862 different queries. So website size doesn't mean you can't play with the big dogs. 

quadzilla.png

• Owner

Those are website builders. I would avoid those. 

Here is one.

https://www.wix.com/

They are not build on SEO desgn. It built more so on Eye Candy. Lots of photos and little text and poor SEO in mind. Remember Photo do not do anything for SEO. Only TEXT will.

Like the link you posted... SEO is poor... Eye Candy is good though...

Legacy Classic Trucks | Home (1/6) 
     * Build Your Own                                                                                                                                                           

Chevy NAPCO Chevy NAPCO                                                                                                                                                      
   Chevy NAPCO                                                                                                                                                                  

* Learn More                                                                                                                                                               
     * Build Your Own                                                                                                                                                           

Restoration Services Restoration Services                                                                                                                                    
   Restoration Services                                                                                                                                                         

* Restoration Services                                                                                                                                                     
     * 3 Stage Restoration                                                                                                                                                      

Inventory                                                                                                                                                                       

* Available                                                                                                                                                                
     * Project Vehicles                                                                                                                                                         
     * Sold                                                                                                                                                                     

The Lifestyle                                                                                                                                                                   

Be a Part of the Lifestyle                                                                                                                                                      

Shop apparel and other Legacy Classic Trucks items.                                                                                                                          

[IMG] Sale!                                                                                                                                                                  
   Legacy Twill Hat - Green                                                                                                                                                     
   More Info                                                                                                                                                                    
   [IMG]                                                                                                                                                                        
   APOCALAXE- 2# Multipurpose Tool + Sheath                                                                                                                                     
   More Info                                                                                                                                                                    
   [IMG] Sale!                                                                                                                                                                  
   Legacy Twill Hat - Orange                                                                                                                                                    
   More Info                                                                                                                                                                    
   [IMG] Sale!                                                                                                                                                                  
   Legacy Twill Hat - Navy                                                                                                                                                      
   More Info                                                                                                                                                                    
   [IMG]                                                                                                                                                                        
   Velvicut 2.25# Premium Bad Axe Boys Axe & Sheath                                                                                                                             
   More Info                                                                                                                                                                    
   [IMG] Sale!                                                                                                                                                                  
   Legacy Trucker Hat - Army Green                                                                                                                                              
   More Info                                                                                                                                                                    
   [IMG] Sale!                                                                                                                                                                  
   Legacy Trucker Hat - Brown                                                                                                                                                   
   More Info                                                                                                                                                                    
   [IMG] Sale!                                                                                                                                                                  
   Legacy Organic Cotton T-Shirt                                                                                                                                                
   More Info                                                                                                                                                                    

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────   

* Shop Apparel                                                                                
     * Shop Tools                                                                                                                                                               

Company                                                                                                                                                                         

Loading...                                                                                                                                                                   

http://www.legacyclassictrucks.com/p-35205-build-your-own-jeep-scrambler.html - Build your own Legacy Power Wagon                                                              

Edited by Mopar1973Man

They are not build on SEO desgn. It built more so on Eye Candy. Lots of photos and little text and poor SEO in mind. Remember Photo do not do anything for SEO. Only TEXT will.

I asked the guy about SEO on the phone , He didnt really know what SEO was either. He stated SEO can mean alot of things

He didnt know what shared server was either.... This Is the Host site builder guy I was talking to on the phone.

Like you said...eye candy site.... sounds about right

• Owner

Eye Candy does not sell. 

You'll be surprised some of the websites I find that are "Top Dawg" are just plain white background and black text no pictures. Literally no style or graphics at all strictly a text website. Like myself I want a strong SEO presence and Eye Candy I've got to weigh out on server load. More or less more HP on the SEO and little on Eye Candy... 

• Owner

Again you are looking at lots of eye candy. Hosting is going to be bit more than shared hosting this kind of graphical weight is going to require more server. But after doing a waterfall test on it they are slow. Graphically heavy not using HTTP 2.0 servers so timing is slower having to serve each item one at a time. Then the SEO on that site is poor. Still using old-school SEO practices and calling keywords, not using modern meta tags or microdata. There is a lot to websites. Other than the huge amount of eye candy and flashy screen there isn't really any SEO horsepower there.

This is a reason I tend to favor the VPS servers more so because I can custom tune a server to meet the needs of the website. As for more shared hosting most of the server controls are unreachable so you have to take it at face value and work with it. Again the biggest factor is most all shared hosting is limited to 100 connections. If you have 2 humans on the site and 98 bots crawling the site then if I try to jump in the mix as 101 I gotta wait in line. There is lag as I wait for the last man to finish up then I get served. 

That's why in my last post I showed that graph where it was very slow to build index on Google that because of the 100 connection limit. When SR.com jumped ship and got on VPS server Google jump is scrapped the site hard and heavy. During this time I was tuning MySQL server to do it job the best I could with the limited resources. (1 core, 1 GB RAM and 40 GB of Hard Drive). 

Again this is something I can't promise on Shared Hosting. Most shared hosting keep you away from the high power stuff. Shame really.  In 20 days SR.com server up 13 Million requests 105 GB of information sent out, only 12 GB written back. Servering 7.3 requests per second. Not bad. 

-------- Performance Metrics -----------------------------------------------------------------------
[--] Up for: 20d 21h 17m 47s (13M q [7.368 qps], 457K conn, TX: 105G, RX: 12G)
[--] Reads / Writes: 94% / 6%
[--] Binary logging is disabled
[--] Physical Memory     : 996.1M
[--] Max MySQL memory    : 840.8M
[--] Other process memory: 479.9M
[--] Total buffers: 672.0M global + 1.1M per thread (150 max threads)
[--] P_S Max memory usage: 0B
[--] Galera GCache Max memory usage: 0B
[OK] Maximum reached memory usage: 682.1M (68.48% of installed RAM)
[OK] Maximum possible memory usage: 840.8M (84.40% of installed RAM)
[OK] Overall possible memory usage with other process exceeded memory
[OK] Slow queries: 0% (14/13M)
[OK] Highest usage of available connections: 6% (9/150)
[OK] Aborted connections: 0.04%  (168/457195)
[OK] name resolution is active : a reverse name resolution is made for each new connection and can reduce performance
[OK] Query cache is disabled by default due to mutex contention on multiprocessor machines.
[OK] Sorts requiring temporary tables: 0% (50 temp sorts / 2M sorts)
[!!] Joins performed without indexes: 24836
[!!] Temporary tables created on disk: 32% (46K on disk / 144K total)
[OK] Thread cache hit rate: 99% (9 created / 457K connections)
[OK] Table cache hit rate: 96% (609 open / 628 opened)
[OK] Open file limit used: 0% (91/65K)
[OK] Table locks acquired immediately: 99% (19M immediate / 19M locks)

M73M is a bit crazier... Yes, I can tune a MySQL server in the basic sense to preform better. In 9 day burn up over 302 GB of bandwidth that is serving a ton load. 

-------- Performance Metrics -----------------------------------------------------------------------
[--] Up for: 9d 1h 12m 21s (21M q [26.860 qps], 718K conn, TX: 302G, RX: 11G)
[--] Reads / Writes: 91% / 9%
[--] Binary logging is disabled
[--] Physical Memory     : 3.7G
[--] Max MySQL memory    : 1.6G
[--] Other process memory: 1.1G
[--] Total buffers: 1.1G global + 1.0M per thread (500 max threads)
[--] P_S Max memory usage: 0B
[--] Galera GCache Max memory usage: 0B
[OK] Maximum reached memory usage: 1.1G (29.00% of installed RAM)
[OK] Maximum possible memory usage: 1.6G (41.88% of installed RAM)
[OK] Overall possible memory usage with other process is compatible with memory available
[OK] Slow queries: 0% (73/21M)
[OK] Highest usage of available connections: 1% (7/500)
[OK] Aborted connections: 0.01%  (78/718877)
[OK] name resolution is active : a reverse name resolution is made for each new connection and can reduce performance
[OK] Query cache is disabled by default due to mutex contention on multiprocessor machines.
[OK] Sorts requiring temporary tables: 0% (529 temp sorts / 5M sorts)
[!!] Joins performed without indexes: 116200
[OK] Temporary tables created on disk: 16% (101K on disk / 600K total)
[OK] Thread cache hit rate: 99% (7 created / 718K connections)
[OK] Table cache hit rate: 98% (1K open / 1K opened)
[OK] Open file limit used: 1% (854/65K)
[OK] Table locks acquired immediately: 99% (29M immediate / 29M locks)

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I have used Homestead for years.  I started my site a long time ago as a way to keep my family in touch with what we were doing & to update what I was doing with projects.  

So easy even a cave man could do it..........  

www.xtrmbowties.com

Bob

Edited by Bobalos

• Owner

Biggest thing is not building the website. Actually is access to your server and what abilities you can do with your server. 

Like Go Daddy I know has Memcached plugin for PHP. You have access to you my.cnf file (MySQL config file). Some control of the Apache server (limited).

Site builders I typically tell people to avoid them. They do not give go control of your website design. 

Like M73M here we are on iPage VPS. I'm using Memcached, Elasticsearch, and few other Linux programs to extend the server abilities. Most of this can't be done on shared hosting accounts. Go Daddy is the only one that comes close. Ill admit iPage shared hosting sucks. No server access at all and no SSH terminal. Network solutions sucks too again no access to the server or SSH terminal.

Even 150 miles from home I've still got access directly to my server over my cellphone.

Capture+_2018-05-23-20-31-30.png

Capture+_2018-05-23-20-35-06.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man