• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bigger Injectors

adamey1000

I currently have the injectors below in my sig, but i have been considering going bigger. I would like to go up on turbo soon, and i would like to know what the best injector option would be. I have my original stock injectors that could be rebuilt with larger nozzles as well. Would there be significant cost savings by going this route? if i sent them in, can DAP rebuild and flow and pop test everything? I will most likely be going with a larger single, but i have been looking at compound kits, so i am not set on a particular turbo yet either. 

1 hour ago, adamey1000 said:

I currently have the injectors below in my sig, but i have been considering going bigger. I would like to go up on turbo soon, and i would like to know what the best injector option would be. I have my original stock injectors that could be rebuilt with larger nozzles as well. Would there be significant cost savings by going this route? if i sent them in, can DAP rebuild and flow and pop test everything? I will most likely be going with a larger single, but i have been looking at compound kits, so i am not set on a particular turbo yet either. 

If you tow a lot or live at high elevation with 3.55 gears and 35" tires compounds will be great.  You can do a s475 (with 83mm turbine, or 96mm turbine and 1.15AR housing) and support 550HP with your stock turbo, or go cheaper and do the s464 and support 450-500HP and spool faster.

For injectors you will typically stretch your dollar further by selling your performance set and getting a new set from us.  Selling used nozzles is a low value proposition, and the value of having them already set up is lost.  Good price for a used set of 75HP injectors is $250 or so.

28 minutes ago, dieselautopower said:

If you tow a lot or live at high elevation with 3.55 gears and 35" tires compounds will be great.  You can do a s475 (with 83mm turbine, or 96mm turbine and 1.15AR housing) and support 550HP with your stock turbo, or go cheaper and do the s464 and support 450-500HP and spool faster.

For injectors you will typically stretch your dollar further by selling your performance set and getting a new set from us.  Selling used nozzles is a low value proposition, and the value of having them already set up is lost.  Good price for a used set of 75HP injectors is $250 or so.

i would be selling the 75hp injectors after the swap, i was just curious if there was any value in having my original stock injectors rebuilt with bigger nozzles. 

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

how much power do you want?

I think that my goal would be in the 450-500hp. Ricer math would have me in the neighborhood already, but realistically i would say i am closer to 350hp. I tow occasionally and live at low elevation. My truck is mainly a daily driver, but I am a hot-rodder at heart and more is never enough.

@Mopar1973Man are you running head studs? Other than the turbo, our set-ups are pretty similar. Maybe it’s the smaller tire you run, but I have not ever been close to breaking the tires loose in 4th unless the pavement is wet. 

I was looking at the DAP screaming eagle turbos, and the price on them almost looks too good to be true. I also notice that they all seem to require an HX down pipe. If I could get one that was a direct bolt on to my current exhaust, that would be ideal since I just replaced my down pipe about 2 months or so ago. 

https://www.dieselautopower.com/dap-screaming-eagle-sxe-fmw-2nd-gen-fit-62-73-4-91ar-t4-non-gated-4-21-marmon

would this turbo work well with the 7x.011 injectors? I Just don’t want to be over fueled or laggy when I upgrade. I like to do things once. If that turbo came with the bolt on flange that I have, rather than the clamp, I think I would be really interested. How would it do with my current injectors? Could I spool it while I wait to upgrade injectors? I am starting to get some noticeable end play on my stock turbo, so I am starting to evaluate options. 

The Screaming eagle turbo  is equal to what people would have paid almost $2000 for 3 years ago.  Borg warner now offers a performance SXE turbo that is mass produced and most turbo companies are building of the SXE as its core... then marking things up a lot to come to a $1700 price anyways...

VP trucks should use the 68mm turbine wheel unless you are trying to get above 550HP.  62mm compressor wheel on the SXE flows like the 63mm on the older box borg units. They are very efficient.  a 62/68/12 will support 500-550HP nicely and spool pretty fast.  at 500HP you may also consider upgraded pushrods and valvesprings

1 minute ago, Me78569 said:

headstuds should be in your budget for 500+ hp

Agreed. I don’t see any scenario with a bigger turbo that doesn’t include head studs. The valve springs and push rods I hadn’t considered though...

@dieselautopower, does the head below come with stock springs, or are the a stiffer spring? i am curious if this might be a better option by the time i have a machine shop go through my head. As far as i know this would be the first time in the trucks history that the head had been off, so i would want to have it checked and most likely trued back up. i also do not have a spring compressor and have limited experience with valve trains. By the time you do all of that, a performance head looks attractive. 

https://www.dieselautopower.com/promaxx-performance-replacement-cylinder-head-chr620n

That head comes with stock springs.  

Head studs are a given for reliability at 500HP and above.  Springs and pushrods would be nice, depending on how much more HP and RPM you will require.

We can get a performance head, but its more than what you need.  

Many people pull the head bolts out one at a time and replace with a stud to keep the factory seal in place on the  head gasket.  This way you can avoid removing the head.