• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Boost Elbow?

After clamping my wastegate and seeing how much quicker it goes over 20psi, I think I want to try a boost fooler so I can get up to 35psi quick but not go over 35. Anyone want to sell me one or know where the cheapest one is? I found one on ebay for $16.50. Figured I would see if any vendors sell them.

• Owner

The problem with those is the fact they are extremely hard to adjust just a 1/16 of a turn can mean 10 PSI jump or loss... The one given to me I going to try and modify slightly to improve adjustability... What I'm using is a Edge elbow now and I can hit 35 PSI just about every time...

I can cope with tedious adjusting, I just want the wastegate to stay shut until I finally do hit 35. I think I could be 5psi higher when above 23psi wastegate if it stayed shut since I will have full flow going to the turbine rather than half of it being dumped. I would like to have more boost to control EGT's better but obviously don't want to go over 35. I am just thinking the boost elbow will make it to where I am at 30psi instead of 25 so the EGT will be lower and I will have a little more power.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Hmm, more I read about it the more evident it is that it just slows the rate the wastegate opens, not so much limiting max psi. Tell me if I am wrong, but I think the elbow reduces the air flow to the wastegate and therefore it just slowly builds enough pressure to open the wastegate? So it doesn't limit the pressure at all, it will eventually still open at 23psi, but will take longer depending on the adjustment screw, allowing me to hit whatever psi and then watching it dwindle back down to the 30psi I got with the wastegate hooked up. Am I right? If that's the case then it's not what I want. I want it to go to 35psi and stop.

Might have to make some kinda electric solenoid in the wastegate line allowing pressure in to open it when I hit that 35psi. Wait a minute, don't they make some kind of blow off valve? Like an air compressor has them they blow off at 200psi or something and reseat at 175 maybe, do they make something like that for 35psi blow off to allow pressure into the wastegate when it sees 35, then reseating when it gets to 30 maybe? Probably be really hard to find one for what I want. Maybe I will make one, or I could just figure out how to adjust the wastegate opening pressure.

So I just found out about wastegate and it seems if you adjust it to open at 30psi, it will only be open 50% at 40psi because the rod length is too short. I might have to play with this and see what happens. I really would rather it stay completely shut until 35psi though. No need to have wasted pressure, until it becomes unsafe anyways.

After looking at the many many options and things out there, I think I have figured out a way to make it do what I want. If it doesn't work, I will let you know AH64ID :thumbup2: Give me a week and we'll see what happens with my design.

The problem with those is the fact they are extremely hard to adjust just a 1/16 of a turn can mean 10 PSI jump or loss... The one given to me I going to try and modify slightly to improve adjustability... What I'm using is a Edge elbow now and I can hit 35 PSI just about every time...

:woot::hyper::thumb1::thumbup2:swweeeeeett!!!

Here is what I am thinking. Have to click on it and then click the pic so it goes to full size. Don't think you can see it very good on here if I let it resize it. http://www.mopar1973man.com//isx97/Charts/IMG_1348.JPG So what what have here.. 1. Boost builds up to 35psi, wastegate stays shut because relief valve has not opened yet. 2. Relief valve opens once it hits 35psi, wastegate opens full since it is still calibrated for 23psi. 3. Boost drops to 30psi, maybe a little less since with wastegate open I can still hit 30. 4. Pressure is below threshold and relief valve closes, but is forced close because of the contained pressure in the wastegate line. 5. Contained pressure flows out the auxiliary line through the check valve, through port 2 where it will see less than 35psi and the relief valve will then not have 35psi behind it and will work next time I get above 35psi. 6. Check valve prevents wastegate from seeing any pressure at all that would otherwise backflow through port 2. This way I can get max flow out of the engine, all to the turbine up until the threshold point, so I can run 23-35psi at a lower throttle position since I won't be working against the wastegate, power will rise, EGT's will lower, mileage will increase, emissions will decrease, acceleration will increase, flow will increase, hmm what other BS can I think of. But yeah, that's the plan of action. The valves I am finding are variable, as in 0.5-60psi variable, so it is highly customizable. What do you guys think? :cookoo:? :lol:

• Staff

What about a 30psi wastegate, vs a 23 psi wastegate?What turbo are you running?I wanted to stay about 33-35 psi, which is why I got the elbow.. Turns out with my fueling I only get 33-34 normally, so I am good..Have you tried just disabling the WG?The other thing it seems like your doing a lot more than you need, where an adj elbow is designed to do what you just listed, with the same number of parts as stock??

What about a 30psi wastegate, vs a 23 psi wastegate?

Wastegates dont work as efficiently as I want. A wastegate will be opening at 30, when I want it to stay shut. I don't want it to be open, hindering the ability to build boost. I don't want it to go over 35 though, so I want it to get to 35 and stop.

What turbo are you running?

HX35

I wanted to stay about 33-35 psi, which is why I got the elbow.. Turns out with my fueling I only get 33-34 normally, so I am good..

Have you tried just disabling the WG?

Yes and the boost goes through the roof.

The other thing it seems like your doing a lot more than you need, where an adj elbow is designed to do what you just listed, with the same number of parts as stock??

An elbow seems to just slow a wastegate down from opening, but doesn't it still end up fully open eventually because it's not like it regulates pressure, but just slows it. A pressure regulator would theoretically work, but would still be giving the wastegate pressure as it builds up to 35

The basic thing in all of it is I just don't want the wastegate open, at all, until I hit 35. In my opinion, I want to be building as much *useable* boost as possible, before finally hitting the limit. I don't want the wastegate opening because it takes away flow and prevents me from seeing optimal boost pressure sooner, and I can only hit 30 with the wastegate working like it is now.

However, I might be wrong, I am just guessing how the elbow works, never seen one, never messed with one. From what I understand, you turn the screw out and that lets air flow into the wastegate hose easier and so it opens sooner. If you tighten the screw, flow is harder so you have time to see high PSI, but can watch the pressure slowly drop as the wastegate opens because the line will see that pressure eventually no matter how much you try to restrict it (unless it's completely blocked of course). Am I thinking of this correctly?

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

Ok now I see. What you are adjusting is the amount of air it bleeds out into the atmosphere, just like a pop off valve. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yeah I still would rather it leave the wastegate completely shut until 35. Let me try my crazy idea first. Think I have most of the parts I need laying around.

• Staff

The setup you are going for is much like the solenoid setup on a HE351, and from watching my boost gauge it's more of a all or nothing, since the solenoid opens at ~32 psi and the WG is a 22-24psi WG, As soon as the solenoid opens the WG goes full open, dumping a ton of exhaust and the boost drops 4-6 psi almost instantly (unless towing then 2-4), then it builds and holds about 28-30 when empty and 28-32 when towing.. From what I gather with a adjustable elbow you can adjust the air going to the WG so it opens smoothly and slowly at the designated pressure. So you can set it to start opening around 32, which makes it fully open about 35psi, and I think will do a better job of regulating. And even thou the WG opens at 23 psi the hole in the elbow lets the pressure off and the set screw adjusts the flow to the WG, so you can have 35psi in the tubro and only 23 at the WG. Another option for you would be an adj psi switch and a WG solenoid from a HE351. All you would have to do is figure out how to get a bung into the cold pipe.. Or run a HE351, they r cheap!What is the DP on a HX35 at 35psi?

• Like 1

The setup you are going for is much like the solenoid setup on a HE351, and from watching my boost gauge it's more of a all or nothing, since the solenoid opens at ~32 psi and the WG is a 22-24psi WG, As soon as the solenoid opens the WG goes full open, dumping a ton of exhaust and the boost drops 4-6 psi almost instantly (unless towing then 2-4), then it builds and holds about 28-30 when empty and 28-32 when towing.. From what I gather with a adjustable elbow you can adjust the air going to the WG so it opens smoothly and slowly at the designated pressure. So you can set it to start opening around 32, which makes it fully open about 35psi, and I think will do a better job of regulating. And even thou the WG opens at 23 psi the hole in the elbow lets the pressure off and the set screw adjusts the flow to the WG, so you can have 35psi in the tubro and only 23 at the WG. Another option for you would be an adj psi switch and a WG solenoid from a HE351. All you would have to do is figure out how to get a bung into the cold pipe.. Or run a HE351, they r cheap! What is the DP on a HX35 at 35psi?

Hmm, well let me try this ate up setup first since I have stuff do it everywhere and think it will be kinda neat. If it doesn't work out, you've convinced me on the boost elbow thing. What is "DP"?